"Bagotville Home of Alouette Squadron R.C.A.F." Bagotville by Simonneeddy
Bagotville Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos
MUST VISIT Bagotville airport ------------ AIRPLANE ON A PEDASTLE AT BAGOTVILLE AIRPORT NEAR CHICOUTIMI AND LA BAIE. HOME OF THE FRENCH CANADIAN SQUADRON LES ALOUETTES
Arrived at noon for a guided tour. Inside we were shown many exhibits of equipment worn or used by the airmen and women. Each display was explained in great detail by an young AIRFORCE OFFICER. We were shown a video of the origins of the base and it's reason for being. Also a lot of the history of the different squadrons and people involved in this airport. It is also a civilian airport with a seperate Terminal Bldg. This airport was originally BUILT TO PROTECT THE DAMS AND AKLUMINUM PLANTS DURING THE WAR OF 1939--1945.
We were then taken on a bus tour of the base and saw the different equipment in use, the fire trucks, Jets on the line one taking off a type that is new and had been grounded for a long time due to technical problems and was on it's test flight. We visited a hanger where we were allowed to walk around and view an engine from a Russian Mig and the Mig itself and look in the cockpit of one of our present jet fighters. There were also rockets and the attatching holder, a landing gear and a tire cut in half to show the thickness. We also saw rescue helicopters.Parachutes and a dummy fully kitted up for rescue work.
Outside the reception centre were many of the past aircraft used and now no longer in use but on display with details on plaques. The photo is of one of these.
When war broke out in 1939 this base was opened to defend The dams, the hydro electric plants, the aluminum plants, and the pulp and paper plants from enemy attack. Aluminum was so important to the war effort.It was continued during the COLD WAR with Russia as a first defence Norad Base. Crews were on stand by 24 hours a day and ready to take off in minutes if alerted.
Several Squadrons are based here one of which is the 425 Squadron, 'Les Alouettes'.They now protect our skies in case of a Hi-Jacking
This was given to me by a pilot of 425 squadron at Mirabel Airport when they put on an airshow there several years ago.
- Pros:Very interesting guided tour
- In a nutshell:Worth your time to visit and learn.
Simonneeddy's Related Pages
Bagotville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Survival Intructors Course"
- "Bagotville Home of Alouette Squadron R.C.A.F."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bagotville
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bagotville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagotville
Top 10 Pages
- Joliette Intro, 40 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 61 reviews, 107 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Trois-Rivières Intro, 29 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint-Jean-de-Matha Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Smiths Falls Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues