"BAIE COMEAU" Baie-Comeau by Simonneeddy
Baie-Comeau Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 51 photos
" Don't miss the travelogues below"
The name was given in memory of Napoleon-Alexandre Comeau a naturalist and geologist of th North Shore.
A safe bicycle path circles the whole city and has many observation areas. An excellent beach and swimming area on th St. Lawrence River as well.
We were on a tour bus and our guide was the owner of the "Le Conte" Hotel. He loves his home town and explained a lot of it's history to us It is situated on the mouth of the Manicougan River where it meets the St. Lawrence River. There are v22 PARKS for a small population of 25,000 people. It has 4 olympic size swimming pools.
In 1837 colonel Robert McCormick disembarked here and founded the town.
A luxury Hotel in the distance.
The City has been incorporated for 67 years. It has 5 lakes within its borders and is built on solid rock.(They have to dynamite the rock to create a place for the basements of all houses or buildings). The basements are very cool and must have a dehumidifier running at all times to remove the humidity.
Napoleon Alexander Comeau is honored with a Fresco on a wall.
This town is was founded to produce paper for The Chicago Tribune and other great American newspapers and still does to this day. The Alcoa Aluminum Plant is one of the biggest in the world.
Cartier Mining also have a plant here and a railway which goes into the far north to bring Iron Ore to be processed . Rail cars of ore are loaded on one of two ferry boats and across the St. Lawrence River to Matane to be shipped to the USA. The Paper as well. Hydro Electricity is also produced here at MANIC-2 and further north Manic-5
The average salary here is $65,000 per year.
- Pros:A rich beautiful City
- Cons:Land is very expensive and the rock raises building costs.
- In a nutshell:An excellent town for the workers as most people are.
In a rustic log cabin setting with all the original stove, pots and pans etc. Meat pie more travel advice
We left the rest stop at 5.30PM past Forest-ville at 5.30PM and arrived at our Motel Le Comte at 6.45PM a total of 665KM... more travel advice
Simonneeddy's Related Pages
Baie-Comeau Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Baie-Comeau
- Hotels in Baie-Comeau
- Transportation in Baie-Comeau
- Restaurants in Baie-Comeau
- Warnings and Dangers in Baie-Comeau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baie-Comeau
- 15 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Baie-Comeau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baie-Comeau
Top 10 Pages
- Joliette Intro, 40 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 61 reviews, 107 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Trois-Rivières Intro, 29 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint-Jean-de-Matha Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Smiths Falls Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues