"Cape Breton Island" Cape Breton Island by Simonneeddy
Cape Breton Island Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 438 photos
Visited here for the second time with a Seniors tour group on Aug. 15, 2004 . Took a lot of pictures which will be in the travelogues.
On my first trip we went to Cape Breton from Shediac by auto .I will tell you about our trip here--The picture is of Baddeck Bell center (OUR second STOP ON CAPE BRETON ISLAND) the home of the BELL MUSEUM. June 20th Left Shediac and drove to Baddeck. Nice drive,good roads. Known as the Sun Rise trail . Left Shediac at 8 a.m. arrived at Baddeck at 3 p.m. Crossed the Causeway at 1p.m. onto the island( Historic site,monument to man who built the causeway by almost moving a mountain to fill the water between the island and mainland. It took several years and cost millions). There is a rest area there.Very picturesque and clean( Gift shop, rest rooms(?)tourist bureau, picnic area etc.)
Leaving there you have a choice of 3 roads. One up the centre of the island, one on the left which follows the shore line all around the island ( beware of fog at times )One to the right which meets the left one half way around the island. You can branch off this one to go to many other towns.
In Baddeck we rented a room at Giselle's Country Inn (4 star)$ 146.00 for double occ. We walked into town where there is a great choice of restaurants. Seafood the MAIN MEALS.
Visited Aug. 15th 2004 Cape Breton Highlands National Park of Canada
The Park stretches across the northern tip of Cape Breton Island between the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Atlantic Ocean. Entrances to the Park are located on the Cabot Trail north of Cheticamp (west side of the Island) and at Ingonish Beach (east).
If traveling from the Canso Causeway, you can either take TransCanada Highway 105 to just outside Baddeck and follow the Cabot Trail north to Margaree Forks and Cheticamp, or follow Route 19 (the Ceilidh Trail) along the west coast of Cape Breton Island to Margaree Forks, then follow the Cabot Trail to Cheticamp. Driving time for either route is 2.5 hours.
If driving from Sydney, N.S., take Route 125 to TransCanada Highway 105, then take the Cabot Trail at the Englishtown ferry or at South Gut St. Ann's to Ingonish Beach. Driving time is two hours.
We are nearing the end of our trail and will follow the Gulf ahead to return to our starting point of the trail
Cape Breton Highlands National Park has some of the most breathtaking views in Canada. It runs from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the Atlantic ocean and it's draped in a verdant forest. John Cabot may have landed in Cape Breton in 1497. European settlers were well established here long before this area was designated a National Park in 1936. Today the park protects the remaining wilderness while co-existing with thriving communities in this historic part of Atlantic Canada.
- Pros:Lots to visit. Great scenery
- In a nutshell:o Baddeck is on the Lake and has a nice walking area
On June 21st a.m. we left Baddeck and drove up the Cabot trail along the coast. Beautiful ocean views and thrilling... more travel advice
Simonneeddy's Related Pages
Cape Breton Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Ciad Mile Failte" Welcome to Cape Breton"
- "MooseSpotting in Cape Breton Highlands"
- "A small place with a huge heart"
- "Cape Breton in autumn"
- "CAPE BRETON ISLAND"
- "I'll take the high road"
- "My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Breton Island
- Hotels in Cape Breton Island
- Transportation in Cape Breton Island
- Nightlife in Cape Breton Island
- Restaurants in Cape Breton Island
- Shopping in Cape Breton Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Breton Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cape Breton Island
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Cape Breton Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Breton Island
Photos in Cape Breton IslandSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Joliette Intro, 40 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 61 reviews, 107 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Trois-Rivières Intro, 29 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint-Jean-de-Matha Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Smiths Falls Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues