"Gagnon a town that no longer exists" Gagnon by Simonneeddy
Gagnon Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 55 photos
DON'T MISS THE TRAVELOGUES BELOW.
GAGNON was built to house the Cartier Mine workers in 1960 and closed in 1985. Some families were transferred to the new mine at MOUNT WRIGHT near the Labrador border and the town of FERMONT was built to house them.A huge building in the form of a shallow U ONE KM. long wall was built to protect the town from the severe cold winds and storms. It is on LAKE DAVIAULT and a 17 miles from Wabush and Labrador City.
THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN FROM THE TOP OF MOUNT DAVIAULT
A GHOST TOWN
We stopped on our way from Fermont to Baie Comeau to view what was left of a thriving town which when Cartier Mining closed the mine was bulldozed into the big open pit mine. A few housing bunk houses were moved to Fermont but that cost more than building new ones so the bulldozer was used. A lot of the workers were transferred to Fermont also. Cartier Quebec's agreement with the Quebec Government when they opened the mine was to leave the site as they found it. That is why everything was bulldozed (even old machinery, the church, houses, furniture etc.) and buried in the mine pit and covered with earth
The pictures show what is left. A boulevard and a side walk which once was the main street.
This was a rest stop for 50 seniors on a bus tour to Labrador on our way to manic 5 and Baie Comeau on highway 389. There were no rest rooms so we went in the bushes with the bugs a plenty.
- Pros:FERMONT REPLACED IT. . One feels very sad to see that the town is gone
- Cons:A GHOST TOWN and one can feel that there are spirits here.
- In a nutshell:I feel so sorry for all those who suffered the loss of jobs and home.
We arrived in Labrador City by train from Sept Iles a 10 hour trip. We were met by a school bus which took us to Fermont... more travel advice
Simonneeddy's Related Pages
Gagnon Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gagnon
- 13 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Gagnon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gagnon
Top 10 Pages
- Joliette Intro, 40 reviews, 139 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 61 reviews, 107 photos, 3 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 43 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Trois-Rivières Intro, 29 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint-Jean-de-Matha Intro, 19 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Smiths Falls Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues