"The Island of Flowers" Ostrvo Cvijeca by Biljana
Ostrvo Cvijeca Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 3 photos
Ostvo Cvijeca (Island of Flowers) is a tiny peninsula close to Tivat. The peninsula is the setting for a story about a countess and a church.
Countess Ekatarina Vlastelinovic, from the family of the famous poet and priest Jovan Sundecic, from Zadar, married a wealthy man named Ilija Veselinovic, from Risan. She had no heirs and became a widow at young age of 25. After she became a widow she vowed to never marry again. The countess bought one third of the peninsula for 400 ducats from the descendant of Kotor?s Drusko family. She spent the remainder of her large inheritance on the reconstruction of the damaged sacral objects on this little peninsula. Eventually, she became a nun and the founder of the local monastery. The countess left all her works and all the remaining property to Petar Perovic Njegos. She was killed by a lead bullet fired by an anonymous killer and she died on the peninsula on 2 March, 1842, where she rests today. The monastery that she founded still stands on the peninsula today.
- Pros:Calm and peaceful!
- Cons:A bit isolated!
- In a nutshell:Adriatic hidaway full of flowers and tranquility!
Biljana's Related Pages
Ostrvo Cvijeca Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ostrvo Cvijeca
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Ostrvo Cvijeca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostrvo Cvijeca
Photos in Ostrvo CvijecaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 93 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 41 reviews, 32 photos
- Stolac Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- Montreal Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mostar Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Portland Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Kotor Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trebinje Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos