"Kaprun - its gorge and its reservoirs" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaprun by jojes
Kaprun Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 93 photos
Kaprun is a small mountain village in the Zell am See district with about 3.000 inhabitants.
Parts of Kaprun belong to the Nationalpark Hohe Tauern.
It's the home of the Kitzsteinhorn, the famous mountain and glacier. Thanks to this glacier, the village is a sports centre all year round, with summer-skiing possibilities.
It's also home to the Sigmund-Thunn-Klamm and the mountain reservoirs of the Tauernkraftwerke.
The river Karpuner Ache runs through the town from south to north, to finally join the Salzach river.
Unfortunaltely enough Kaprun made it to the world news on november 11th 2000.
On this black day a fire started in an ascending railway car in the tunnel of the Gletscherbahn 2 railway.
155 lives were lost, leaving only 10 German and 2 Austrian survivors. They were on their way for a fun day of skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier.
This was the biggest disaster to hit Austria since WWII.
The funicular railway has been closed ever since. It's been replaced by a gondola lift. There has been some talk about rebuilding the funicular railway but only for technical use and no longer for the transportation of people.
National Geographic dedicated an episode of the series 'seconds from disaster' to the Kaprun disaster.
The journey up to the Kaprun reservoirs is almost as spectacular as the destination Itself ! The journey The first part... more travel advice
jojes' Related Pages
Kaprun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KAPRUN - HOME OF SIGMUND-THUN KLAMM"
- "Kaprun - its gorge and its reservoirs"
- "Ski Heaven"
- "Kaprun -mountains and reservoirs"
- "Kaprun the best Glacier Ski-ing"
- "Ski ski & ski"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaprun
- Hotels in Kaprun
- Transportation in Kaprun
- Nightlife in Kaprun
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kaprun
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kaprun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaprun
Photos in KaprunSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wattens Intro, 21 reviews, 82 photos
- Ferleiten Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos
- Werfen Intro, 2 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hafnarfjörður Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Iceland Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mauterndorf Intro, 4 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjavík Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Zell am See Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krimml Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongeren Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos