"CANGAS DE ONÍS" Cangas de Onís by AsturArcadia
Cangas de Onís Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 117 photos
Cangas de Onís, along with Unquera (or Panes), Cistierna and Guardo (or Riaño), is one of the 'gateway' towns to the one natural physical feature in northwest Spain that most people have heard about - the Picos de Europa.
It has all the unfortunate trappings of a 'gateway' town and tourism Mecca, but as in the case of nearby Arriondas, there is another, more subtle face to Cangas, as I endeavour to show on the pages that follow.
To start with, though, those wretched cows that graze outside one of the largest gift shops on the main street. Not as famous, by far, as those which stand (stood?) in a field beside the London to Coventry and Birmingham railway near Milton Keynes in England (they were 'planted' there in the late 1970s), but seen by millions each year. Strangely, they are Friesians, widespread in Cantabria but not very common in Asturias compared with the ubiquitous brown bovine.
Two views of the 'Puente Romano' spanning the Sella, at the western end of the town. Medieval, not Roman in origin, it was recently cleared of creeper, and repointed, this making it look rather naked. The upper view dates from October 1985, the lower one from July 2009.
AsturArcadia's Related Pages
Cangas de Onís Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ASTURIAS the Green Spain"
- "The historical town of Cangas de Onis"
- "You've Gotta Love a Name like Cangas de Onis!"
- "Cangas de Onis"
- "CANGAS DE ONÍS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cangas de Onís
- Hotels in Cangas de Onís
- Restaurants in Cangas de Onís
- Shopping in Cangas de Onís
- See All...
Explore the World
- Stone Mountain Hotels
- San Benedetto del Tronto
- San José Costa Rica
- Namibia Hotels
- Taree Hotels
- Layhill Hotels
- Heraklion Hotels
- Fort Meade
- Jämtlands Län
- Ställdalen Hotels
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
- East Lansing
Badges & Stats in Cangas de Onís
- 0 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cangas de Onís?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cangas de Onís
Photos in Cangas de OnísSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Borines Intro, 53 reviews, 319 photos, 10 travelogues
- Infiesto Intro, 4 reviews, 101 photos, 10 travelogues
- Berrón Intro, 2 reviews, 90 photos, 10 travelogues
- Gijón Intro, 1 review, 88 photos, 10 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Burgos Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Königstein Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Luanco Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Candás Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues