"Maputo" Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique by junecorlett
Mozambique Travel Guide: 819 reviews and 2,627 photos
Maputo was one of the few road trips we have done.
Travelling from Johannesburg to Nelspruit in the Mpumalanga area.
Family members have asked us on numerous occasions to accompany them to Mozambique. I have never been comfortable going there....due to my fear of Malaria. I have taken anti-malaria drugs in the past, when visiting the Kruger Park....the medication just does NOT agree with me. I feel quite sick and out of sorts.
I only did this trip as it was during winter, and the mosquitoes are not that bad during the cooler months.
I did however swat around me all the time, when having dinner or lunch on the beach....I have a phobia...I am a woes!!!! (meaning, coward.)
I did not want to venture any further than Maputo. We only spent a long weekend there.
Once you pass through Nelspruit, you have to get to the Mozambican border. There are usually long queues at the border post. The roads from the border post to Maputo are not too bad. We travelled as 4 adults in a SUV.
I have a few photographs of the beach view we had from the Holiday Inn where we stayed. Will post more later.
Seafood is abundant in Maputo. I ate more seafood over one weekend than I do in a year!!!!
We did a day trip on a boat to Portugese Island.
I think I have been rather spoilt, as I was not very impressed. Perhaps if I had ventured further north in Mozambique I would have seen all the stunning beaches with white sand and crystal clear water for snorkelling.
The caption here is of bungalows on Portugese Island.
- Pros:Beautiful, warm climate.
I dont even remember the name of this restaurant...they are dotted along the coast, many of them. They are all good and... more travel advice
I bought a wooden guitar, beautifyully made. I thought about the time it must have taken to carve the wood. I am a softy... more travel advice
junecorlett's Related Pages
Mozambique Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CORRUPT AND DANGEROUS"
- "Mozambique - A country of proud people"
- "2.500 Kms Sea Coast in the Indian Ocean"
- "Magical Mozambique"
- "Mozambique - Portuguese East Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mozambique
- Hotels in Mozambique
- Transportation in Mozambique
- Nightlife in Mozambique
- Restaurants in Mozambique
- Shopping in Mozambique
- Warnings and Dangers in Mozambique
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mozambique
- 6 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Mozambique?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mozambique
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Turkey Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Deneysville Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Alaska Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos