"Maputo" Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique by junecorlett

Mozambique Travel Guide: 810 reviews and 2,605 photos

My First visit to Mozambique

Maputo was one of the few road trips we have done.
Travelling from Johannesburg to Nelspruit in the Mpumalanga area.
Family members have asked us on numerous occasions to accompany them to Mozambique. I have never been comfortable going there....due to my fear of Malaria. I have taken anti-malaria drugs in the past, when visiting the Kruger Park....the medication just does NOT agree with me. I feel quite sick and out of sorts.
I only did this trip as it was during winter, and the mosquitoes are not that bad during the cooler months.
I did however swat around me all the time, when having dinner or lunch on the beach....I have a phobia...I am a woes!!!! (meaning, coward.)
I did not want to venture any further than Maputo. We only spent a long weekend there.

Once you pass through Nelspruit, you have to get to the Mozambican border. There are usually long queues at the border post. The roads from the border post to Maputo are not too bad. We travelled as 4 adults in a SUV.

I have a few photographs of the beach view we had from the Holiday Inn where we stayed. Will post more later.

Delectable Seafood

Seafood is abundant in Maputo. I ate more seafood over one weekend than I do in a year!!!!

Portugese Island

We did a day trip on a boat to Portugese Island.
I think I have been rather spoilt, as I was not very impressed. Perhaps if I had ventured further north in Mozambique I would have seen all the stunning beaches with white sand and crystal clear water for snorkelling.
The caption here is of bungalows on Portugese Island.

• Pros:Beautiful, warm climate.
  • Cons:Malaria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Last visit to Mozambique: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2009

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2012 at 5:20 AM

nostalgia ;-)) those grilled prawns look amazing, my tase buds are frantic ;-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Interesting page on this exotic country. Nice photos. I would also be worried about contracting Malaria!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Wow, you right about worrying about Malaria. My dad had it and it would rear its head every now and then. Not fun! But at least what you got to enjoy is wonderful June. That beach view is beautiful!

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 7:39 AM

As usual, great tips and pics! Ann, TS

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Good tips !!!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM

The prawn look yummy! Most of the "local" craft in the world is made in China and there is an annual fair where brokers from everywhere in the world make their bought, but usually they remove the labels! I once had a morrocan friend who did that trade!

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I laughed about the 'made in china' tip! Funny! Congrats on the gold star by the way... Tracey :o)

• georeiser's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I remember so well the fear I had for getting malari in Maputo. But I left Mozambique with only two mosquito bites.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Mozambique has always been a place that sounded interesting. Someday I suppose we'll visit. Thanks for your page to give me an early peek. That's quite a prawn Roger is holding, too.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Bob Dylan wrote a song called 'Mozambique'. Have you heard it? Nice tips here- can you add some pictures??

junecorlett

“Tomorrow is never promised.”

Badges & Stats in Mozambique

Have you been to Mozambique?

Latest Activity in Mozambique