"Johannesburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg by junecorlett
Johannesburg Travel Guide: 1,067 reviews and 2,180 photos
My photograph of Johannesburg is not the "usual" areal shot of the city of Jhb. I never venture into it. Here is a caption of the northern suburbs of Johannesburg, seen from a "Balloon" 120 metres high.
Firstly, if you are going to be visiting South Africa - here are some Zulu words you might like to learn.
Hello - Sawubona
How are you? - Unjani
What is your name - Ngubani igama lakho
Can you please help me - Ungangisiza
Thank you - Ngiyabonga
Yes - Yebo
No - Cha
Goodbye -( to one going )- Hamba Kahle
Goodbye -(to one staying)- Sala kahle
Please dont steal my car - Ungayintshontshi /Ngicela ungayebi imoto yami
No - I dont use drugs - Cha angizisebenzisi izidakamizwa
Are Bafana Bafana going to win the world cup --- NO!!!!
Johannesburg is the largest and most populous city in South Africa, and while it has never been the capital, since the beginning of the 20th century, it has been the principal city in terms of the economy.
Most visitors to South Africa want to do the following;
The best way to visit a township is on an official tour with recognised operators. Visit www.saweb.co.za/townships
The most well known and celebrated of South Africa's townships is Soweto, the sprawling mix of shanty town and formal housing estates that lies approximately 30km outside of Johannesburg in Gauteng. Established in 1932, the region was first known as Orlando East. More than 3.5 million people live ther now.
Other larger townships
Others worth visiting with a tour guide;
Alexandra adjoining Sandton. Atteridgeville outside Pretoria, KwaMashu outside Durban, and Khayelitsha and Guguletu outside Cape Town.
Every country town also has a township, and these are more often than not worth visiting.
I am going to list a few things to do on this page;
APARTHEID MUSEUM; Opened in 2001, this multidisciplinary museum covers the rise and fall of the apartheid era and the atrocities commited over that time.
JOHANNESBURG ART GALLERY; Impressive collection of works spanning 5 centuries and covering artists, both early and contemporary from Europe and Africa.
OLD FORT AND CONSTITUTIONAL HILL; This focuses on South Africa's path to democracy. It includes the new Constitutional Court, built alongside the notorius Old Fort prison complex, which housed many od apartheid's opponents.
CRADLE OF HUMANKIND; Located outside Johannesburg, this world heritage site contains a number of important sites, which have yielded more than 950 hominid fossils, making this one of the richest concentrations in the world. Some of the finds are estimated to be 3 and 3.5 million years old. The site includes a number of complexes eg; The Sterkfontein Caves and the Wonder Caves.
GOLD MINES; The Chamber of Mines organises extemely informative tours down working gold mines situated just outside Johannesburg. www.bullion.org.za
Also taken from the Balloon.
- Pros:Beautiful weather, friendly people.
- Cons:Crime - more in the cities than in the suburbs.
Palazzo Hotel is a 5 star hotel A lot of entertainment around the hotel. Movies, restaurants, Casino and theatres. more travel advice
Sun Square is situated on the Fountain Square at Montecasino This is a new hotel, the decor is contempory. The rooms are... more travel advice
junecorlett's Related Pages
Johannesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's really not as bad as you've been told!"
- "The Fast Life , Johannesburg"
- "Jozi, Joburg, Johannesburg - City of Gold"
- "Believe it or not, this is a great city"
- "A brief visit to Johannesburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Hotels in Johannesburg
- Transportation in Johannesburg
- Nightlife in Johannesburg
- Restaurants in Johannesburg
- Shopping in Johannesburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Johannesburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johannesburg
- 35 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johannesburg
- Posted in Travel Province of KwaZulu-Natal Forum "Re: Hotel, Weather, Clothing"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Johannesburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review 5 Star Northern Suburbs Jhb Hotel in Johannesburg Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "5 Star Northern Suburbs Jhb Hotel"
- updated a Johannesburg Travel Page "Johannesburg"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Turkey Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Deneysville Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Alaska Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
Latest Johannesburg hotel reviews
- Town Lodge Sandton Grayston Drive
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Garden Court Johannesburg Eastgate
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Michelangelo Hotel
- 234 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Sunsquare Montecasino Hotel
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Protea Hotel Wanderers
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Park Hyatt Johannesburg
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Saxon Boutique Hotel and Spa Johannesburg
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Mercure Johannesburg Randburg
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Formule 1 Johannesburg Park Station
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Sep 24, 2012
- InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Mercure Suites Bedfordview Johannesburg
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Garden Court Milpark
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- The Reef Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2013
- Don Suites Eastgate
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2010