"Port Alfred" Port Alfred by junecorlett
Port Alfred Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 32 photos
The Royal Alfred Marina is situated on the Kowie River in Port Alfred.
The Marina is a holiday destination for many families who live inland. They own these homes and use them as getaways from the big cities.
We are fortunate to have very good friends who hire a house for 3 weeks during Decmeber. We join them for 2 nights. Then move on to friends in Kenton-on-Sea, which is 40 km east of Port Alfred.
Port Alfred boasts a wonderfully temperate climate - never too hot or cold - with rainfall in the spring and autumn months. This makes it an ideal water sports destination enhanced by the fact that the Kowie is navigable for about 28km upstream. The Kowie river flows into the Indian Ocean
Boat cruises and various hiking trails navigate this river region, rich in vegetation, fauna and bird life.
Roger loves putting a line in. Very relaxed on the jetty of the house we stay in. He caught a VERY SMALL fish.
Port Alfred is also the venue for the Kowie River Canoe Trail. A 40 km long return paddle and a 12km hike.
Participants navigate the river to Waters Meeting Nature Reserve near Bathurst and then hike through forests famous for sheltering endangered barred owls.
The neighbors who are from our home town Johannesburg have their own holiday home on the Marina.
He is quite a keen deep-sea fisherman and invited our hosts and Roger for deep-sea fishing. It was a 3 hour trip. Roger was very ill, he cant handle the swells, but he got the catch of the day.... a "Geelbek" Here he proudly shows off....feeling a little better since standing on dry land.
Africa's largest and most colourful cultural event offers a choice of the very best of both indigenous and imported... more travel advice
junecorlett's Related Pages
Port Alfred Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Alfred"
- "Port Alfred - Heart of the Sunshine Coast"
- "Port Alfred"
- "Boet & Swaer country"
- "A quiet beach town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Alfred
- Hotels in Port Alfred
- Restaurants in Port Alfred
- Shopping in Port Alfred
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Alfred
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Port Alfred
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Port Alfred?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Alfred
- Posted in Travel Province of KwaZulu-Natal Forum "Re: Hotel, Weather, Clothing"
- Wrote a Review Grahamstown National Arts Festival (Near Port Alfr in Port Alfred Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Port Alfred"
- updated a Port Alfred Travel Page "Port Alfred"
- Commented on one of mvtouring's Port Alfred travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Turkey Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Deneysville Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Alaska Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos