"A Very Happy Life" junecorlett's Profile
On weekends we love to spend time on our boat with family. The Vaal dam is approximately 130km from Johannesburg Northern suburbs. There are many holiday homes on the banks of this dam. The dam is vast, with a circumferance of over 1000km. A lot of sea-going yachts are also moored on this dam. The Vaal dam has more yachts, power boats etc moored than all the marinas throughout South Africa's coastline. Approximately 500 families actually live on their yachts on this dam. The annual "Round the Island" Race takes place during the first weekend of February every year. It is a spectacular sight. About 400 yachts of different catagories enter this annual event. From Hobies, to huge CATS. The colourful "spinnakers" are a sight to behold.
We live in Johannesburg on an Estate. Very safe and easy living.
Latest page SWAZILAND and a big update and new tips on PHUKET and Phi Phi
Jet-ski's are available for hiring. Lots of fun on the water. A cruise ship had anchored from Phuket, allowing their passengers to spend a day on the island. We were inquisitive and took a ride out to the ship.
My best time on the dam is just before sunset. It is the time of day I like to relax on a cruise (booze-cruise) we call it that as we like to take a few"sundowners" with us. We do a gentle cruise with lovely music coming from the CD player on the boat. By the time the sun has set, which is about 7pm in summer, we are ready to light the fire for our traditional BRAAI (BBQ). On summer evenings you can see all the lightning in the distance, beautiful, until it creeps up on you and you have your own thunders storm. A storm generally lasts for about 20 minutes. It is not dangerous or scary. We are quite used to it. If the grandchildren are asleep by then, it does not even disturb them. We like taking friends to our house at the dam, it is very sociable, and Roger loves teaching people to ski, if they have not tried before.
James is 5 years old. He is our eldest granchild. He loves his "bing-pa" as he likes to call grand-pa. He has already been on the water, very gently on a "Tube" and loves it. He loves the open spaces. We have a few "meerkats" who visit us during the day, and James loves to feed them an egg, or a bit of "biltong" (dried meat).
Once James is 6 or 7 yrs old, his bingpa will teach him to ski.
Sunset on the Vaal.
Every summer evening we have a different sunset. Our summer skies are always slightly cloudy, due to our summer rainfall. The best sunsets are in summer. During the winter months we have cloudless skies as we have our dry season. The rains start in October through to late March.
Winter at the dam is extremely cold, therfore NO water sports for us, unless we are stupid......then we don wet-suits.
This is a "disc-type-tube". I dont know any other way to explain it. It has a back rest like a couch/sofa. Lots of fun, especially on a hot day. Have to beware of sunburn. Our youngest grandchild Josh (2 yrs old) has also had a ride on this. We always wear life jackets for water sports and insist on it with the little ones.
The estate we live on is (as estate agents would describe it) in the leavy suburb of Bryanston, Johannesburg.
We have access to the squash courts and flood-lit tennis court. We also have a large swimming pool for the use of the residents. Some families prefer to have their own pool (like us). It is more sociable and lovely for the grandchildren. Johannesburg is very hot during summer...there, a few swims a day cools you off. We also have a nice park for the children to play in.
We love where we live, as we have easy access to all the shopping centres.
The airport is about 38 km from our home.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 121 Reviews
- 224 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- Commented on lynnehamman's profile page
- junecorlett and y2ketan2007 are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Province of KwaZulu-Natal Forum "Re: Hotel, Weather, Clothing"
updated their Profile Page "A Very Happy Life"
- Wrote a Review Snorkelling Phi Phi in Ko Phi Phi Don Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Snorkelling Phi Phi"
- created a Ko Phi Phi Don Travel Page "Phi Phi Island"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Phuket Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Turkey Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Deneysville Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Venice Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Alaska Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22149 Reviews - 53809 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3078 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15552 Reviews - 30943 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23056 Reviews - 47246 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8354 Reviews - 17025 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1905 Reviews - 4447 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4263 Reviews - 8768 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7626 Reviews - 19412 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos