"The Urals capital" Yekaterinburg by Noel_Leon
Yekaterinburg Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 333 photos
If someone happens to return to Yekaterinburg ten years after his/her last visit, he could not believe his eyes. In this last decade the city has undergone a construction boom and new modern buildings are popping up almost everywhere - in the center as well as in the outskirts. New shopping malls, multi storey glass buildings, luxury hotels and skyscreapers are today the new landmarks of the city skyline.
It was here in Yekateringburg that the entire Romanov family - the last Tzars of Russian Empire - was killed by the Bolsheviks on July 16, 1918. The Romanov imperial dynasty ruled over Russia since 1613, when Mikhail Romanov was offered the crown at Ipatiev Monastery of Kostroma.
Ironically, their assassination was carried out in a house called "Ipatev" after the name of the merchant which used to live there.
Ipatev house was destroyed in 1977 and later on the Church on the Blood was built on this spot to commemorate the Romanov sainthood - the family members were canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church in year 2000.
The city of Ekaterinburg was founded in year 1723 by Vasilij Tatishev e Georg Wilhelm de Gennin. It was named after Empress Catherine I , at the time wife of the Tsar Peter the Great.
This is the place where - in the night of July 17th, 1918 - the bodies of the Romanov family were hidden after their... more travel advice
During the Soviet times Yekaterinburg was renamed as Sverdlovsk, after the name of a famous Bolshevik party leader. In... more travel advice
Noel_Leon's Related Pages
Yekaterinburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "xenia's new Yekaterinburg page"
- "the 3rd capital of Russia"
- "On the line between Europe and Asia"
- "The Urals capital"
- "why Yekaterinburg?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yekaterinburg
- Hotels in Yekaterinburg
- Transportation in Yekaterinburg
- Nightlife in Yekaterinburg
- Restaurants in Yekaterinburg
- Shopping in Yekaterinburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Yekaterinburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yekaterinburg
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Yekaterinburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yekaterinburg
Photos in YekaterinburgSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Yekaterinburg Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Volgograd Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mozia Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Mondovì Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Lahore Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marsala Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Kolomna Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lagonegro Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Belgium Intro, 1 review, 3 photos