"Animal Pilgrims on their Way to the Top" Göppingen by Kimi_the_Bear

Göppingen Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 177 photos

First things first: We had a fabulous VT Meeting in Göppingen. We - that is my friend Russell and his Mama Kathrin, and my Mama and I. Russell and Kathrin had travelled from Karlsruhe which is at a little distance from Göppingen, and Mama and I came from Gingen which is only ten or twelve kilometres away. But we all took the train.

We surely could have taken the bicycle like on other occasions but we were very busy and a little late, so better took the train to arrive on time. As we all arrived at the railway station there was no chance to miss each other.

Göppingen is famous for the former residence of the Staufer emperors, sitting in the outskirts high above the city (well, what is left of it), its Bundesliga handball team named Frisch Auf, and Märklin model railways.

On the above photo you see four VT members in front of Göppingen's Town Hall, from left:

Kathrin ..... Kathrin_E
Russell ..... Russell_the_Wombat
Kimi .......... Kimi_the_Bear
Sissi ......... Kakapo2

We took the bus up to Hohenstaufen. Kaiserbergsteige is the steep trail leading up the emperors' hill. The Staufer emperors once had their main castle on Hohenstaufen which is not only the name of the village outside Göppingen but also of the butte towering over the village.

This Kaiserbergsteige is part of the Camino de Santiago, one of the pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela. I can assure you, this sign has not been there only a few years ago. Then pilgrimages had a renaissance, and suddenly everybody felt the need to walk some steps or more towards Santiago de Compostela. You see the sign with the yellow shell everywhere. In Göppingen the Camino starts at the railway station and leads straight up to Hohenstaufen, and from there to the next Staufer mountain named Hohenrechberg. So now you can consider Russell and me real pilgrims in real life - not only on VirtualTourist... ;-)

This is a message for Hans-Georg, the guy sitting behind me on this photo:

Hallo Hans-Georg, vielen Dank, dass Du mich auf dieses Brett gesetzt hast und in die Kamera geschaut hast - nicht dass die Menschen in aller Welt denken, wir Deutschen und Schwaben wären verbissen. Von wegen bloß "Schaffe, schaffe, Häusle baua..." Das Lied muss heißen: Schaffe, schaffe, Häusle baua, und fescht nach de Bära schaua!

Yeah, guys, this man named Hans-Georg works at the former Staufer castle of Hohenstaufen, high above Göppingen, to keep the few remaining walls from tumbling, so everybody can see in years to come that the Staufer emperors once lived up there. I think there are worse work places than this one.

• Pros:Great nature, climbing, handball and ice-cream
  • Cons:Like all those places - too far away from New Zealand
  • In a nutshell:A low-key destination with great surroundings
  • Last visit to Göppingen: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2010

Kimi_the_Bear

“Why should bears not travel?”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Göppingen

Have you been to Göppingen?

Photos in Göppingen