"Becoming an Ice Bear in the wild West" West Coast by Kimi_the_Bear

West Coast Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,642 photos

I am a frequent visitor to the West Coast. Of course, the West Coast is most famous for its two big glaciers that reach down into the rainforest, Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier. I have been there several times, so you can surely imagine that I can tell you how a small grey bear can become an ice bear.

The West Coast is also famous for its rain, that is why they have the rainforest and we do not have it here in the east. We have two tree fern survivors in the garden but that almost is it. They have millions over there on the West Coast, and this is very special.

They also have a lot of wekas, those flightless rails who eat all the potato chips Mama sprinkles around me, and we do not have any over here in the east. One of them bit me in the ear when the chips were gone. That was a real shock to me, so now I still love them but I keep my distance. I just let you know, so you do not leave your food unattended and do not sprinkle it around your ears.

Finally: They have a lot of coal on the West Coast. We also had some over here but they have stopped mining. On the West Coast they still do coal mining, and many people earn their living in the mines. As the coal pollutes the air and New Zealand claims to be green and clean, we export it to China, so they can pollute the air, and we can keep on saying that we are green and clean. In New Zealand, even the 1080 baits they drop over the forests to poison possums - and many other animals, especially birds, die in a case of collateral damage - are green.

The coal is transported from the West Coast by train to our port here in Lyttelton, just around the corner, and is shipped out into the dirty world from here. I have visited a historic coal mine on the West Coast, in Denniston, so I can tell you how a grey bear becomes a black bear ;-)

And of course, I can tell you some more stories about the uniqueness of the West Coast.

• Pros:Glossy glaciers, tremendous trees, lots of fish and honey
  • Cons:Ear-biting birds, poison baits in the forests, a lot of rain
  • In a nutshell:If you do not forget your raincoat you can have a great time
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2010

Kimi_the_Bear Visits Here Frequently!

Kimi_the_Bear

“Why should bears not travel?”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in West Coast

Have you been to West Coast?

Latest Activity in West Coast