"Cruising Fiords and Lakes - Hiking - Meeting Birds" Fiordland National Park by Kimi_the_Bear
Fiordland National Park Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 109 photos
What great time I had when visiting Fiordland with Mama and Doris. Not only did the two ladies pamper me but we also had great weather - which is not typical for this part of the rainforest of the south-west. The forecast was not good when we planned the trip but it got better by the day. The only water drops that landed on my fur were not rain but spray water from the boats we were on. And we were a lot on the water! We crossed Lakes Te Anau and Manapouri, and cruised Milford and Doubtful Sound. We went hiking, shopping, dining, visited the Glow Worm Caves and Te Anau's Birdlife Park. (But I have to admit, I prefer to watch birds in the wild although those keas were funny...)
You need at least two nights in Te Anau - but three if you want to cruise both famous Fiords. They are full day trips.
Oh, and I have to explain something: The fiords are fiords and no sounds although their names are Milford and Doubtful Sound. I do not know who mis-named them, perhaps a doubtful Mister Milford?? Sounds are collapsed river systems with lots and lots of islands, like the Marlborough Sounds and the Bay of Islands, whereas fiords were created by glaciers that ate their way through rocks.
One veeery important advice for travels in this region: Never travel to Fiordland without insect repellent! Especially when the sun shines and the wind is not strong and you do not move, those nasties try to eat you!
Fiordland also is the country of the keas. They are cheeky, they can be nasty and friendly at the same time - just not to me, because they find my looks strange. Do not feed them - but feed me if you meet me ;-)))
- Pros:A magic World
- In a nutshell:I will be back :-)
Kimi_the_Bear's Related Pages
Fiordland National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quiet on the Sound"
- "New Zealand Trip 1999 - Fiordland"
- "FAQ - Under Construction"
- "The Deep South"
- "FIORDLAND NTL PARK"
- "Cruising Fiords and Lakes - Hiking - Meeting Birds"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fiordland National Park
- Hotels in Fiordland National Park
- Transportation in Fiordland National Park
- Restaurants in Fiordland National Park
- Shopping in Fiordland National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fiordland National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fiordland National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Fiordland National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fiordland National Park
Photos in Fiordland National ParkSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Southland 125 photos, 17 travelogues
- Ulm Intro, 109 photos, 15 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 86 photos, 14 travelogues
- Gingen an der Fils Intro, 85 photos, 12 travelogues
- French Polynesia Intro, 79 photos, 10 travelogues
- Alsace Intro, 1 review, 78 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lyttelton Intro, 76 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 75 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 74 photos, 10 travelogues
- Wellington Intro, 70 photos, 10 travelogues