"Romantic Town of Gold" Arrowtown by Kimi_the_Bear
Arrowtown Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 311 photos
Arrowtown is called Town of Gold and has the attribute Heart of Gold. This refers to its past as a centre of the Gold Rush of the mid 1850's in Central Otago. Although still gold can be found in the rivers around the town, most gold business is producing and selling gold jewellery.
The Town of Gold also refers to the Golden Autumns you can encounter in this region. They do not have a lot of native trees which are evergreen but a lot of poplars. Their foliage changes to yellow-orange-golden in autumn. Arrowtown celebrates a golden autumn festival to profit from this beauty.
What we did not like were the (modern) cars driving through the (historic) main street. They should rather have horse-drawn carriages there ;-)
In the Arrow River you can do some gold panning. Unfortunately I did not find any gold nugget, and Papa only found some dusts of gold. They said this is not enough to even go to the gold buyers. Perhaps we should have tried harder, as we would really become rich. But as we do not want to be in the water the whole day, we keep on playing lotto.
In winter Arrowtown can be quite annoying because all those woodfires create a cloud of smoke and stink over this beautiful township. You would surely not speak of a green and clean place at this time of the year.
The Chinese Settlement is one of Arrowtown's attractions. You can walk quite a bit into the woods where the Chinese gold diggers once lived. This is hugely interesting. And you feel sorry that those people had to endure racism and segregation. That is why many Chinese had their ashes taken to China after their death. They wanted to rest in a place where they were more liked.
Arrowtown is a good trip from Queenstown on a rainy day, as there are so many nice shops and cafés to go to. There is also the regional Otago Museum where you can learn a lot about the times of the gold rush and early settlers.
- Pros:A romantic place, interesting historical sites, relaxed atmosphere
- Cons:Cars in the main street - they should ban them and walk some steps
- In a nutshell:Always nice to visit
Kimi_the_Bear's Related Pages
Arrowtown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arrowtown a special hideaway."
- "Arrowtown - Discover the Historic Mining Town"
- "Arrowtown - A Beautiful Town Among the Mountains"
- "Arrowtown, Otago."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arrowtown
- Hotels in Arrowtown
- Transportation in Arrowtown
- Nightlife in Arrowtown
- Restaurants in Arrowtown
- Shopping in Arrowtown
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arrowtown
- 0 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Arrowtown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arrowtown
Photos in ArrowtownSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Southland 125 photos, 17 travelogues
- Ulm Intro, 109 photos, 15 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 86 photos, 14 travelogues
- Gingen an der Fils Intro, 85 photos, 12 travelogues
- French Polynesia Intro, 79 photos, 10 travelogues
- Alsace Intro, 1 review, 78 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lyttelton Intro, 76 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 75 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 74 photos, 10 travelogues
- Wellington Intro, 70 photos, 10 travelogues