"Introduction to an Arts Roadhouse" Bavaria by Kimi_the_Bear
Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,112 reviews and 35,587 photos
You might not have seen anything like this. Rasthof Illertal-Ost on the Autobahn A 7 between Ulm and Kempten is Germany's only Arts Road House (Rest Stop, Pit Stop; Kunstrasthof). It looks like a mixture of Gaudí and Hundertwasser, just spectacular.
The name of the artist who created this colourful roadhouse is Herbert Maierhofer. He is Austrian.
The architecture is somehow a little bit of everything. Ice-cream cones combined with Venetian windows, a Chinese pagoda next to a Greek temple. In front of the building, in a semi-circle, you find sculptures of all the astrological signs - and I sat in or on them all :-)
Work at the site which previously had been a pit stop like all the others, started in 1996 and was finished in November 1997.
If you want more information about the Kunstrasthof Illertal-Ost, check out this website:
Kimi_the_Bear's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Websites Bavaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 1 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
Top 10 Pages
- Southland 125 photos, 17 travelogues
- Ulm Intro, 109 photos, 15 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 86 photos, 14 travelogues
- Gingen an der Fils Intro, 85 photos, 12 travelogues
- French Polynesia Intro, 79 photos, 10 travelogues
- Alsace Intro, 1 review, 78 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lyttelton Intro, 76 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dunedin Intro, 75 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 74 photos, 10 travelogues
- Wellington Intro, 70 photos, 10 travelogues