"Gippsland, Victoria" State of Victoria by wise23girl
State of Victoria Travel Guide: 6,289 reviews and 15,513 photos
A very comfortable train journey of about 2 hours from Melbourne ,the capital, and we were at our destination. For a while you might have thought from the look of the countryside that this was England...even 3 other travelers speaking in broad Yorkshire helped with the illusion.
Then suddenly there they were, the giant chimneys bellowing the smoke from the process of supplying power to Victoria. Our illusion was shattered.
Later we were to be on site inspecting the quarries, furnaces, and control room of the nearest facility where our friend worked. Quite scary to see the pollution first hand .
We travel about an hour by car to this old mining town hidden in the hills which surround the valley. Still quiet as we are only just into Spring. An old pub is serving quite a nice meal.
A clear mountain stream trickles through the centre of town . Only one more car in sight. Oh joy.
But I am told the little place is buzzing in Summer
Quite a popular tourist activity I am told is to ride the train. On our way back to Melbourne we detoured to the Dandenongs (Belgrave) and after a trip of an hour or so enjoyed lunch at Lakeside .
We bought another train hat! We have an old Ghan hat, a Mary Valley Rattler hat (Qld), a Pemberton(W.A.) one and now a Puffing Billy. We usually wear our Old Ghan ones when travelling. I do not count train hats in the tally unless they are a special sort. A hat not a cap!
- Pros:Beautiful green countryside in spring and nearby forests
- Cons:The pollution from Power houses
- In a nutshell:Gippsland has many facets,still some countryside midst the pollution
wise23girl's Related Pages
State of Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second State, Home State while in Australia!"
- "Sweetberry's Victoria Page"
- "Discovering Victoria's Secrets"
- "The Mighty "Murray River""
- "Ballarat Botanical Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Victoria
- Hotels in State of Victoria
- Transportation in State of Victoria
- Nightlife in State of Victoria
- Restaurants in State of Victoria
- Shopping in State of Victoria
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Victoria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in State of Victoria
- 9 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 47 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to State of Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Victoria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 163 reviews, 335 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 53 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brisbane Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairns Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos
Top State of Victoria hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 316 Reviews - 662 Photos
- Warrnambool Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 138 Photos
- Lorne Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 165 Photos
- Ballarat Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 487 Photos
- Camberwell Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Lakes Entrance Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Coldstream Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Daylesford Hotels
- 134 Reviews - 298 Photos
- Saint Leonards Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Echuca Hotels
- 47 Reviews - 114 Photos
- Apollo Bay Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 106 Photos
- Sydenham Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Scoresby Hotels
- 1 Review - 8 Photos
- Port Melbourne Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 2 Photos