"Queen Mary2 brought us here" Top 5 Page for this destination Honningsvåg by wise23girl
Honningsvåg Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 172 photos
How exciting . Here we are 70degrees 58 N in Honningsvaag the northernmost city in Norway and possibly the world.
The wind is howling...the mist is hiding some of the shore...it is raining...the sea is choppy but how exciting this is.
Our day began yesterday in a way as the sun did not set therefore it could not rise. A whole day of light.
It was too misty to see the sun hug the horizon and not set but we were there 19th July when the sun did not set!
We did not see much of the town itself as we were whisked away on our tour. On our return we noticed the Icebar in town but as the sea was choppy we soon went back to QM2 by tender...just as well as the ship had to up anchor and leave sooner than planned as the weather turned.
And as the day progressed it became evident we were the lucky ones to have chosen a panorama tour of Mageroy Island and not the one to the North Cape... all they saw was mist and a video.
We were on the North Cape plateau visiting Skarsvåg and we rounded 71degees 10 mins 21 seconds twice on QM2 ...so that was close enough to NordKaap I reckon.
Honningsvaag is small by 'city' standards but in 1996 with a population of 2,575 and not the required 5,000 it was declared a city and able to claim the honour of being the most northermost city in the world.
Honningsvaag is situated at a bay on the southern side of Mageroya island.The famous Nord Kapp is on the northern side.
The North Cape is the most northerly point of Europe (71 (DEGREES) 10' 21" N situated on the island of Mageroy named from the Sami word meaning 'the steep barren coast'
(Except the northernmost point in Europe is said to be Knivskjellodden and not North Cape. It's 1500 meters more north than NordKapp.)
People have lived here as far back as 10,300 years ago...made possible by the proximity of the temperate sea. Winter temperatures are much milder than one would expect at this latitude....This is The Arctic Circle.
"The Norwegian fjords are the result of massive movements of glaciers in the Ice Age some millions years ago..." from QM2 brochure
Honningsvaag is a long way north and not all Norwegians have been here...not even for a day.
We came on Queen Mary2 a safe and luxurious way to travel...and we came in summer.
There is a small airport and I suspect only small planes.
Mageroy Island is not easy to explore...There are a few expensive taxis and a limited bus service.
Queen Mary 2
We also visited Skarsvaga nearby fishing village .........
Then we set sail to our next port of call Tromso where we docked....better than having to go in by tender.
- Pros:The sun did not set
- Cons:In winter days of darkness
- In a nutshell:In the Arctic Circle
If you arrive in on Queen Mary2 the ship is there for the whole day so you have time to do 2 tours or choose to look... more travel advice
During the winter months when all is dark and the villages may actually be isolated even from each other one very... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Honningsvåg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gate to the Northcape / Nordkapp"
- "Queen Mary2 brought us here"
- "A touch to the North"
- "Nordkap - The most northen place in Europe"
- "Honningsvåg: Gateway to the North Cape"
- "Welcome to HONNINGSVAG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honningsvåg
- Hotels in Honningsvåg
- Transportation in Honningsvåg
- Nightlife in Honningsvåg
- Restaurants in Honningsvåg
- Shopping in Honningsvåg
- Warnings and Dangers in Honningsvåg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honningsvåg
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Honningsvåg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honningsvåg
Photos in HonningsvågSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 160 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 55 reviews, 180 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 56 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 36 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canberra Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue