"Tromso ...the Gateway to the Arctic" Tromsø by wise23girl
Tromsø Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 686 photos
People have lived her 350km (217m) inside the Arctic Circle since the ice age.And it was cold and windy when we were there as you will see from the photo.
The first people as far as is known were the Sami.
For 2 months every year the sun does not set the last day being 21st July
People can only live here because they are protected from the weather geographically and because of the presence of the Gulf Stream..sometimes in summer they can even swim!
Nowadays (2012) Tromso is the principal city of Northern Norway and boasts the most amazing set of tunnels I have ever seen...not that I am an expert. We came to a roundabout in the centre of the tunnel system...my poor little camera could not capture this incredible scene.
Tromso is a university city...the most northern university and has the most northern brewery in the world as well.
Tromso covers an area of 2,558 square kilometres ...greater than any other city in Norway.
The island of Tromso is connected to the mainland by the Tromso Bridge (1'016 metres long) and the Tromsoysund Tunnel and to the island of Kvaloya by the Sandnessund Bridge.
The tunnell system is unbelievable.
The oldest house in Tromso dates back to 1789. In the centre of Tromso is the largest number of wooden houses in all of Norway.
One of the best known attractions Is the Arctic Cathedral....a real landmark.
There are many things to see in Tromso but our one day did not allow for this...There is Tromso Museum, Botanical Gardens, the Polaria centre to name a few.
"British planes sank the German battleship Tirpitz just outside the town on November 12th 1944 but luckily the town escaped any war damage, and Tromso is one of the few towns in northern Norway that has been able to preserve its charming old buildings."
From QM2 brochure.
Queen Mary 2
From Tromso we headed to our last port of call in Norway, Alesund.
- Pros:Amazing tunnel system
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the Artic
wise23girl's Related Pages
Tromsø Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "To Tromsoe by Hurtigruten"
- "On seeing the Northern Lights (at last!)"
- "Saagar's Tromsø pages"
- "Tromso: a very nice town"
- "Beautiful Tromso - Gateway to the Arctic"
- "the gate of the arctic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tromsø
- Hotels in Tromsø
- Transportation in Tromsø
- Nightlife in Tromsø
- Restaurants in Tromsø
- Shopping in Tromsø
- Warnings and Dangers in Tromsø
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tromsø
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Tromsø?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tromsø
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 160 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 59 reviews, 200 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 57 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Forster Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue