"Boulia...Town of the Min Min lights" Boulia by wise23girl

Boulia Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 11 photos

The first time in Boulia

Well the first time was the best time...maybe...the next time was pretty good too...and the next time.

We had driven all day from Alice Springs in The Northern Territory across the Plenty Highway...then the Donohue ...then into the little speck on the map which is Boulia. We had no sooner hit the pub and some lady was saying "Lets meet up in Winton tomorrow...Matt saw you out on the highway"

Then we found ourselves listening to a little song on a 'home made' CD about an Irishman named "Matt McGee" who was looking for the Min Min Lights...the old Aussie sense of humour had him looking for a left handed screw driver and a population tool if he wanted to succeed.

That is what it is like in Boulia.

Before we knew what was happening we were invited to come back the next year and stay with them...which we did...in Boulia

The Min Min lights.

Now the time to see the Min Min lights would have been as we drove into town that first time...but no it was not to be.

Those mysterious lights which dance in front if you, and the locals swear are real, did not appear for us. Apparently we did not bring our 'left handed screw driver'.

But come back we did for the Camel Races...then the Year of the Outback and dancing in the streets .

Now I read this and found it amusing:
"Shire size: 61,000 km²
Population: 250,000 sheep, 75,000 cattle, 600 people. That's a statistic, isn't it?"

So if you want to know what they do out there it is sheep and cattle country. Massive holdings as the land is not fertile.

Queensland Outback...not far from the Northern Territory border.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Some good info here on Boulia and Urandangi

So our Mystery Tour of Little Towns and Pubs can only go to one place from here....Urandangi

but no! there is now another small detour ha! ha! on offer
...Dajarra

If you have been to Urandangi and Dajarra take the road to Winton

Post script.
You do realize we are only able to visit places for which I have a page ...we can't go places I have not brought to virtual life!
But now you have a choice.... I have been busy ...you could go to Dajarra and then find your way to Urandangi....you will manage I am sure....if you are a train buff you will be interested in Dajarra...or if you are going to Mt Isa it is on the way....but I do not have a review done for Mt Isa so it is back here ladies and gentlemen and then on to Winton...link above

Do not get lost now...it is lonely out here....Do not wander off the known roads....a small detour in the outback could be a long long way

• Pros:The pub is good and people friendly
  • In a nutshell:A little speck in our vast outback
  • Last visit to Boulia: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2012

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Love the outback pubs..old fashioned with plenty of character.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Yes, if you do see the Min Min lights please post a photo. I won’t hold my breath, though.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

well, here's a place I never even heard of! and what a great photo in front of the hotel/pub!! I love those old pubs in OZ!! almost makes me want to come back for a visit......hmmm. but wondering about those hills, we have very similar looking in Baja peninsula, called "mesas", which means 'table(top)'; probably it's more technical if only in SthAmerica.....

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Thanks for your interesting story! The quality of your highways is amazing!....

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Camel Races sound interesting, I would not have expected to see Camels in Australia !

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Wonderful tips!

wise23girl

“'Life may not be the party we hoped for... But while we are here we might as well dance!' ”

Badges & Stats in Boulia