"Buderim Mountain ...best place in the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim by wise23girl
Buderim Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 209 photos
Buderim was once a little village where the Palmwoods tram ended its journey, where the early settlers made their home, where there were many farms , where the original Ginger factory was built and from where you could see what is now Maroochydore but with out the city lights. Of course from various vantage points you can look north, west, east, and south to this day.
Buderim was named after the Aboriginal word for the Hairpin Honeysuckle (Badderam), Banksia Spinulosa var. Collina.
Buderim Mountain has an elevation of 180 m, is 7.2 km long, and 4km wide, with 360 degree views..
The locals when asked where they live still say " ON Buderim " and some new comers think this is an affectation but it is not so. We live on a mountain. The school is named Buderim Mountain State School so it must be correct.Yes?
So if you are a visitor to the Sunshine Coast come and visit us "ON Buderim".
There are many little cafes open in the day where you can enjoy a snack or lunch. There are hairdressers...need a blow wave?...A number of dress shops all with different styles...so much better than the sameness of shopping centres. And men's wear and shoe shops and banks and teller machines and real estate agents if you decide to buy and make this your home. Oh I must not forget shoe repairs and a dry cleaner all within walking distance of where you park.
There is a post office too..I am a keen user of post offices while travelling to post home excess gear. Need a few groceries? All here.
Take your time to find the off road parking and make sure you find the one with no time limitations behind the NEW post office.
There are restaurants and places to dine (or just eat)in the evening .There is a Tavern as well. Wander around and you will find them all.
Churches of almost every denomination are here too and welcome you to their services. All in convenient locations.
Not too far away is the nice walk along the old tram track and there are other nature reserves as well eg "The Foote Sanctuary".
So there are a number of beautiful walks. The photo shows the Foote Sanctuary. I am told there are 107 different bird species recorded here.
A little bit tricky to find but ask a local or call in to the OLD Post Office for directions.
Another walk, complete with picnic area and waterfalls leads form near Harry's Restaurant to the top of Buderim in Quorn Close.
And last but not least follow what is left of the old tramway track.
You can find this charming walk hidden away between Buderim and Forest Glen. The track is built on the right -of-way of the tramway as it descends through the rainforest to the base of Buderim Mountain. Major highways now block the rest of the original track to Palmwoods.
The journey of the walk is 1600m return.
In its heyday, 1914 to 1935 the tram ( pulled by a Krauss locomotive ) brought visitors from Brisbane via Palmwoods to Buderim Mountain.
To find the walk first locate Mons Road , Buderim then note where Mons Road joins Telco Road. By car easy or a bit of a walk.
Finally restoration of the Krauss locomotive that once pulled the Buderim Tram from Palmwoods to Buderim has been completed.
It is presently hidden away on private property until its new home is decided.
Eventually the engine will be somewhere on Buderim Mountain for all to see.Most likely near the Hub where in by-gone days its journey to the Mountain ended.
Many of these old photos were donated by a pioneer family to the archives.
Many of the photos were originally owned by the Wise family..
And now there are Living Legends on Buderim
Our Virtual Tour into NSW starts here...We are heading for the Elvis Festival in Parkes...1,000km away...First stop Brisbane*
My Buderim Reviews
Every review on this page is directly related to Buderim Mountain
- Pros:Beautiful soil, Beautiful views, So much history
- Cons:Traffic through the main street
- In a nutshell:Best place in the world
Buderim Queensland Australia Palmyra Farm the Wises’ Historic Farming Property from 1901 was first selected by G.A.... more travel advice
Feeling a bit weary after your long haul flight or just driving the long distances between places in Australia? Well I... more travel advice
- See All for beautiful designer silks and...
- See All A new spot for coffee
- See All Soak up Buderims History
- See All Magnificent Home
- All the reviews relate to Buderim...
- See All CLOSED at 5pm
- See All Can you locate these beautiful Bushland...
- Sport on Buderim
- A new bus route 617
- A Quiet Night on Buderim
- If you forgot it well don't worry
- Hey You might be snared by Buderim'...
Written Jan 27, 2012
Living Legends. Buderim 150 Years
Written Oct 3, 2013
OKTOBERFEST in French
wise23girl's Related Pages
Buderim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buderim Mountain ...best place in the world"
- "Buderim - A great place to live!"
- "BUDERIM TOWNSHIP"
- "Many Good Things on Buderim"
- "A Nice Place To Visit"
- "MACQUIRE'S HIPPEASTRUM FARM"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buderim
- Hotels in Buderim
- Transportation in Buderim
- Nightlife in Buderim
- Restaurants in Buderim
- Shopping in Buderim
- Warnings and Dangers in Buderim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Buderim
- 43 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Buderim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buderim
- Posted in Travel Mont Saint Michel Forum "Re: Travel in France - No car...!!!"
- updated a Buderim Travelogue "OKTOBERFEST in French"
- Commented on one of wise23girl's Buderim travelogues
- Uploaded a Photo to "OKTOBERFEST in French"
- Wrote a Review History of the last farm on Buderim in Buderim Local Customs
Photos in BuderimSee All Photos (140)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 329 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 35 reviews, 133 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
Latest Buderim hotel reviews
- Buderim White House B&B
- 1 Review & Opinion