"Coolah Loves Easter Country Music" Coolah by wise23girl

Coolah Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 86 photos

The Life Blood of Coolah

Just up the road a piece ,maybe 30 K, for the last 25 years at Easter Time Hartwood Camp Fires and Country Music Festival brings prosperity to Coolah.

Now it is almost all in the one main street...everything that is. And on one corner there is a sort of place that sells plants and shrubs and now has quite a respectable coffee shop. Oh NO! GONE now...what a shame...

What I did enjoy was the almost old fashioned main store where you could buy clothes and hardware and grog and ....well everything.

Last time they had streamlined it a bit...pity. But we will be there in 2012 so I will report back. It is 2014 at the time of this report and Coolah is maybe a little quieter than before BUT I discovered Noni K's giftware and clothing and this is well worth a stop...really....see the review below.

Where is Coolah

Well it has to be 'off the beaten track' as it is between Gunnedah and Dunedoo.

Have you heard of Dubbo where 4 major roads cross ?...Well from Dunedoo you can drive to Dubbo.

Well anyway Coolah is in New South Wales Australia. look for the Golden Highway "Your Inland Adventure Trail"...and from Dunedoo head north on The Black Stump Highway and before long you will find Coolah. Just find a map then and do a bit of exploring...but not in the heat of summer.....It is hot in summer and cold in winter so Easter is perfect.

There is more to Coolah

There is heaps more in this district which I will follow up one Easter...so stay tuned.
But you can look here in the mean time.

Coolah is Black Stump Country and if you are interested in this story read more here

Coolah is the original location from where the phrase "beyond the black stump" was coined. You’ll find a roadside rest area featuring a black stump on the Gunnedah road, just outside of town.

Coolah is also the gateway to Coolah Tops National Park, one of the best kept secrets in New South Wales. The Park is home to rare flora and fauna and contains some outstanding botanical features such as giant grass trees and snow gums.

• In a nutshell:A lot to find...but you need to stop
  • Last visit to Coolah: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2014

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Another beyond the black stump town but with a lot of attitude :o) Good stuff Margy...nice story and pix mate :o) Hugs xx

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Aug 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM

YES .That's we are in Bathurst but my start phone and tablet are giving me trouble

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Marg you certainly find some interesting little country spots.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Jun 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

There are some gorgeous little outback spots....you should see what Iaindsmith finds....Coonabarabran for example and the Warrumbungles.
      And around the Darling Downs we found Nobby for example. Sorry cannot do links I an battling without my PC

• wabat's Profile Photo
      Jun 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Thanks Marg - I do keep an eye on Iandsmith's most interesting contributions to VT

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Great that they have kept the festival going for 25 years now!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Hey Marg I thought that I wrote about some pretty out of the way places, but I am in the presence of a master!
    Hope you're feeling a bit better, and here's a big thumbs up!
    Regards
    Cathy

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Brings back lots of memories of years gone bye...I love giant grass trees.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Giant Grass trees - I missed them when travelling in Australia !

wise23girl Visits Here Frequently!

wise23girl

“'Life may not be the party we hoped for... But while we are here we might as well dance!' ”

Badges & Stats in Coolah