"Passing through Coonabarabran" Coonabarabran by wise23girl

Coonabarabran Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 132 photos

What did we find

But Coonabarabran, a small country town known fondly as "Coona", is much more than a place to pass through ...in fact it is almost criminal to do so...It is known as the Astronomy Capital of Australia...I love all these ways cities and towns chose to describe themselves
To know why this name was chosen you need to visit Siding Spring Observatory. And look upwards...the skies are crystal clear and the area is perfect for stargazing. And while in town do visit "Skywatch".

Bush fires threaten the word famous observatory 2013.

Coonabarabran is the closest town to the Warrumbungle so please follow this link to iandsmith's pages and read his amazing write up......
I just love the name of the shire ..Warrumbungle... it has a special sound to it and somehow you remember the name.

Our virtual tour Buderim to Parkes.

From Buderim, Queensland to Parkes, NSW for the annual Elvis Festival........1000k.
Are we half way yet? Oh yes we are more than half way
So on our way to Coona we drove through Gunnedah and maybe you waited to fill up your petrol tank at Mullaley ((I have a review for this little stop...just a diversion if you care to look)

Well after Coona we join the Newell Highway outside Gilgandra and continue to the Town of the Crossroads...Dubbo.

• Pros:Good Place to stop on your journey
  • In a nutshell:Warrumbungle Scenery
  • Last visit to Coonabarabran: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 13, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The Astronomy Capital of Australia -- that sounds promising.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Feb 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Thanks for the visit. Yes the observatory is well known and they are lucky to still have it....the bush fires were very close this year.....did some damage.

• wabat's Profile Photo
      Oct 3, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Yea it fared better than mt stromolo in the 2003 fires.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Don't get me started Margy!! I have always wanted to check out an observatory and every time we have passed Coonabarabran I have stuck my arm up....only to be not heard!! One day I will realise my dream.... but unfortunatey it may not be Coonabarabran :o( ...but you never know!! :o) Nice read mate. xx

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Great pub pic..I think I have been there.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I was passing through there as well, in heavy rain !

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Coonabarabran

Have you been to Coonabarabran?