"The Hills are Blue Around Esk" Esk by wise23girl

Esk Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 39 photos

My childrem were born here.

Little Esk hospital was a wonderful place to give birth to your babies. So homely and friendly. And you could rest there for a week or more before heading home with the new babe and facing nappies to dry by the fire if it was raining.
My first little dog, Vicki, lived here with us and even had puppies in our time there..

We went to Esk as my husband Brian was appointed accountant to the Butter Factory. Now closed forever. Many of the farms of that day are now flooded with water for the new dams.

Do we ever wonder what we are doing with our great thirst for water...covering productive farming land and buying overseas rubbish to eat?

Try managing on 3 small tanks as we did for years and conserve water and land.

Memories of Esk

Esk was a quiet little town in the Brisbane Valley nestled under Glen Rock. Everything happened in Toogoolawah in those days. Not so now it seems.We drove to Toogoolawahfor 'Learn to Swim' classes , for bigger shops, to learn cake icing.

There were many places nearby to take the children for family picnics with our little dog Vicki.

This beautiful photo shows one of our favourite picnic spots at Bryden. Not sure if it is flooded now. We also went often to Somerset Dam...still a popular place to this day. My daughter and her family often travel from the Sunshine Coast to camp and water ski there in 2010.

Esk Revisited

During my years in Esk I was involved in the community and made many life long friends. It is 50 years on for one very special organization and you will see me in this group photo taken in Esk. 2010,

From Esk we moved to Rockhampton.

We pass through Esk from time to time and love to stop at the Old Rectory which is now a little coffee stop of the nicer variety. Brings back many memories.(Yes look for the tip)
Another coffee place I have yet to photograph and visit was the home of a very special couple and is right there in the main street greeting you as you drive into town from the north.

Our Mystery Tour of small towns and pubs has brought us to Esk...you might have to do some filling in and find a map or a GPS but to me it seems like we are off to

...... Bell

You might need to fill up with petrol....and be prepared to spend the night
...

• Pros:Still has the country feel
  • Cons:I don't live there any more
  • In a nutshell:Memories of yesteryear
  • Last visit to Esk: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2012

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Lots of memories here in Esk. Thanks for sharing Marg

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

an interesting location, thanks for sharing !

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Esk looks wonderful and a great place to raise a beautiful family! Esk holds lots of special memories, which makes it special!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Too bad the old Lyceum has burnt down, but they have certainly planned an elaborate replacement.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Am amazing pic of the Lyceum burning.You should submit it for the homepage pics.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 3:52 AM

Here here regarding the flooding of farmland and eating overseas rubbish veges. Our government should be supporting our farmers. We often drive through Esk on the way to the Sunshine Coast.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2011 at 3:14 AM

nice to see your page thanks - when I think how long Ive been here and away from Oz its too long...thanks for refreshing memories but I better come home for a proper update!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM

you've always been venturesome, I'm sure!! interesting little place; had not heard of it before.

• PearleChic's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Just fancy I know those places...very nice

• Dara5's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I was born in Esk.

wise23girl Used To Live Here!

wise23girl