"The Hills are Blue Around Esk" Esk by wise23girl
Esk Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 49 photos
Little Esk hospital was a wonderful place to give birth to your babies. So homely and friendly. And you could rest there for a week or more before heading home with the new babe and facing nappies to dry by the fire if it was raining.
My first little dog, Vicki, lived here with us and even had puppies in our time there..
We went to Esk as my husband Brian was appointed accountant to the Butter Factory. Now closed forever. Many of the farms of that day are now flooded with water for the new dams.
Do we ever wonder what we are doing with our great thirst for water...covering productive farming land and buying overseas rubbish to eat?
Try managing on 3 small tanks as we did for years and conserve water and land.
Esk was a quiet little town in the Brisbane Valley nestled under Glen Rock. Everything happened in Toogoolawah in those days. Not so now it seems.We drove to Toogoolawahfor 'Learn to Swim' classes , for bigger shops, to learn cake icing.
There were many places nearby to take the children for family picnics with our little dog Vicki.
This beautiful photo shows one of our favourite picnic spots at Bryden. Not sure if it is flooded now. We also went often to Somerset Dam...still a popular place to this day. My daughter and her family often travel from the Sunshine Coast to camp and water ski there in 2010.
During my years in Esk I was involved in the community and made many life long friends. It is 50 years on for one very special organization and you will see me in this group photo taken in Esk. 2010,
From Esk we moved to Rockhampton.
We pass through Esk from time to time and love to stop at the Old Rectory which is now a little coffee stop of the nicer variety. Brings back many memories.(Yes look for the tip)
Another coffee place I have yet to photograph and visit was the home of a very special couple and is right there in the main street greeting you as you drive into town from the north.
Our Mystery Tour of small towns and pubs has brought us to Esk...you might have to do some filling in and find a map or a GPS but to me it seems like we are off to
You might need to fill up with petrol....and be prepared to spend the night...
- Pros:Still has the country feel
- Cons:I don't live there any more
- In a nutshell:Memories of yesteryear
My goodness I put in the photo and forgot to write about it. I can see the Old Shire Hall to the left of the photo and... more travel advice
We lived in Esk for 7 years and in that time there were 3 pubs still standing and very popular with the local men. Would... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Esk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ESK IN THE BEAUTIFUL BRISBANE VALLEY"
- "The Hills are Blue Around Esk"
- "Nice little town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Esk
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Esk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esk
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 160 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 54 reviews, 176 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 56 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 36 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canberra Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue