"Gundy in other words Goondiwindi" Top 5 Page for this destination Goondiwindi by wise23girl

Goondiwindi Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 69 photos

Easy to be in Gundy

It is very easy to find your way around the CBD...Everything is close. There are heaps of motels in the centre of town...and The TownHouse restaurant which is THE restaurant. There are fashion shops...a news agency...and a cinema.

And 'Gundy' is a border town...Queensland and New South Wales meet here.At one time this was a check point. The customs house from that era is now a museum.

The most famous resident of Goondiwindi was Gunsynd, a Thoroughbred race horse known as "The Goondiwindi Grey...look for the statue when in town.

The Newell, Leichhardt, Gore, Cunningham, Barwon and Bruxner Highways all merge at Goondiwindi or close by..

The twin town of Boggabilla is nearby, on the New South Wales side of the border. Most of the area surrounding the town is farmland.

Some history

The name Goondiwindi derives from an Aboriginal word meaning "the resting place of the birds...and you would not think it but Gundy can flood being situated on the MacIntyre River.

Goondiwindi is a centre for agriculture, producing a diverse range of crops and fibres including wool and beef, cotton, sorghum, corn, wheat, barley, and chickpeas. Average annual rainfall for this region is 525 millimetres (20.7 inches).Goondiwindi is well known for its dry season but still manages to produce many crops.

On our way

We left before breakfast ...not much open in Gundy town that early so we headed for Inglewood where we enjoyed scrambled eggs and bake beans in the 'Elvis cafe'.
I was sorry to miss the fashion shop' Aitches' though...some nice clothes there.

Now I was not so impressed with the food at Inglewood and in 2014 found two quite nice breakfast places in Gundy.....and I made some purchases at Aiches.

In 2014 our plan is to stay a little longer and visit the fashion shop. Goody goody!

• In a nutshell:I think it would be a nice place to live...feels that way.
  • Last visit to Goondiwindi: Mar 2014
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Again I had to look at the map to see where this town is. Looks like a good place for a stopover.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      May 5, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Oh I wondered who was looking...Thank you....just updated the clothes shop one as this time we stayed and I bought a couple of things.
      This town has really wide streets and safe crossings near the round-a-bouts.

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I have always loved the name of this place. While we didnt stop here( I imagine the highway bypasses it) your signpost picture brought back memories... I had driven from Darwin 3571kms away... With numerous stops off course en route

wise23girl

“'Life may not be the party we hoped for... But while we are here we might as well dance!' ”

Badges & Stats in Goondiwindi

Have you been to Goondiwindi?

Latest Activity in Goondiwindi