"Katherine..Where the River flows" Katherine by wise23girl

Katherine Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 324 photos

A Fleeting Visit

Well I can say I have been there if only for 4 hours...a Whistle Stop on the Ghan (a famous Australian train).

Actually I reckon this is the way to visit Katherine if your time is limited. It is a very long drive for a day trip from Darwin.

Katherine Gorge, 292,800 acres of wilderness park is owned by the Jawoyn Aboriginal people.

We chose the Two Gorge Option and I am glad we did...no sitting having afternoon tea on a barge boat in the First Gorge for us.

We clambered over some rocks and saw much more of the magnificent scenery.

Going to 2nd gorge

Not too difficult. to walk over the rocks though it is not wheelchair friendly. We hopped on another barge to explore the second gorge.

A well known scene.

If you buy a postcard from Katherine the photo often used is a scene from the second gorge so you should go and see it for yourself. Taken by yours truly.

You will find out more about Katherine on The_Downunder_Mob page.

• In a nutshell:Where the outback meets the tropics.
  • Last visit to Katherine: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2011

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I used to love visiting Katherine on business because of the scenery ... althoigh it did bug me that they couldn't spell my name right! ;)

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
      Aug 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Wow - you should qualify for some award for services rendered to the hoisptality industry!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Aug 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Ha Ha...well someone has to keep the economy on track. I like to support small local business.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2013 at 2:47 AM

We overnight in Katherine, a good experience on gorge cruise, but disappointed with the town.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      May 11, 2013 at 4:16 AM

As you will have noticed we were there only for a whistle stop.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM

You take such a cute pic, Amiga! Katherine is another place I never got to....

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I spent a few days in Katherine many years ago and pleased it hasn't changed that much.I have some very old pics depicting Jedda's rock.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Looks very nice here Marg That Ghan train looks so great to ride on

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM

"Where the outback meets the tropics" ..... I like that :o) We did the chopper here....my first chopper flight! Fun...Fun!! xx :o)

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Katherine

Have you been to Katherine?

Latest Activity in Katherine