"The Town of the Great Horse Ride" Kilkivan by wise23girl

Kilkivan Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos

Missed The Chance of a Lifetime

How exciting it is...this annual horse ride. I longed to take part but I was getting older and in the true sense not all that experienced and my little 3/4 Arab mare could be a bit frisky ....so
But in 2011 there was no ride
"Due to the potential risk of the spread of the Hendra Virus the
2011 Kilkivan Great Horse Ride has been CANCELLED.
The committee is disappointed the Horse Ride can't run but have the best interest of Riders, Horses, Property owners & the general public at heart.

The 2012 Kilkivan Great Horse Ride will be 31 March 2012. "

What actually happens is that over 1,000 horses and riders start from five points around Kilkivan and travel 20 ? 30 km along parts of the National Trail to Kilkivan for the Grand Parade down the main street...you can imagine how exciting this all is.

Oh nearly forgot I must tell you where Kilkivan is:

"Kilkivan is the northern gateway to the South Burnett. It's located on the Wide Bay Highway approximately 286 kilometres north-west of Brisbane (or 259km if you take the Burnett Highway from Nanango to Goomeri) and 53 kilometres from Gympie"

So there is more to Kilkivan

Yes and I forgot to come back but I will...I am racking my brains so I can tell you about the little shops...there was an antique shop....and the streets are wide....and they are waiting for you to call in.

And of course there is a pub...another to add to our list of Queensland pubs to visit.

Why on earth don't I keep a diary like tropicrd...Have a look what she does...

Our Mystery Tour of small towns and pubs.

Bit of a trick to decide...

you might have to get a map to the next place but I have chosen...... .............Esk...where my children were born

...have a look at the blue hills....This is a bit of a longer drive. Better have lunch...it is 2 or 3 hours to Esk

If you have just joined the tour and want to go back to the beginning follow this link to Landsborough... You are only a couple of hours away from Brisbane in Kilkivan... so not too far out. You could even head back there to catch your plane.

• In a nutshell:A little place not to miss.
  • Last visit to Kilkivan: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Another nice little place on your Mystery Tour.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Fine tips! Congratulions!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM

So sorry you didn't get to do the ride. Yet, some wonderful shops and a very neat place to stay!

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM

What a famous horse trail ride...I have not ridden any of it.
    Rex and I were avid horse trail riders in our younger days...
    Wonderful page .

“'Life may not be the party we hoped for... But while we are here we might as well dance!' ”

Badges & Stats in Kilkivan

Have you been to Kilkivan?

Latest Activity in Kilkivan