"Maleny...at the top of the range" Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny by wise23girl

Maleny Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 160 photos

A special trip

Maleny is situated about 1½ hours north of Brisbane in the Sunshine Coast hinterland on the southern end of the Blackall Range. Noted for its beautiful lush surroundings and spectacular views of the Glasshouse Mountains, Maleny is also a magnet to artists of all kinds who are inspired by the unhurried lifestyle the area offers.

It is a town we visit for that special trip. There are some delightful eating places...one even sells Cornish pasties. And everyone loves Mary Cairncross Park.

In my horse riding days I often drove through Maleny on my way to Charlie Moreland Park.

You can actually do a complete round trip.....great drive...through Kenilworth and up the Obi Obi Road or continue on to Eumundi and to the Bruce Highway.

A Sad Day

It was a sad day for Maleny when a giant supermarket chain decided it must establish a store at Maleny. They built right on the creek whwere the platypus had their home. No amount of public outcry stopped them. Many of the locals will not put foot in this store but it was said to me by an employee of the chain "We do not worry about the locals...in the longer term they will shop with us. we can wait"

Enlarge the photo to see the sign

Still a lot of green

It is delightful to see the lovely trees still in the main street

Are you on the Mystery Tour of small towns and local pubs.... did you love Maleny...did you find the Irish pub? our next town is Kenilworth the bush behind the beach

• Pros:Still so green with fresh air to surround you.
  • In a nutshell:Unhurried lifestyle
  • Last visit to Maleny: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2012

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Excellent pages and tips Marg.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Thanks for your wonderful portrayal of Maleny!~ It is certainly a good place for an enjoyable visit....

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Lovely page on Maleny and it is a sad day for the Platypus. The same thing is happening here. they're cutting down old tree growth in the west end of our city, to make way for a connecting road to the Bridge. There was so much nature there that depended on the woods. Now where will they all go. Progress - indeed!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM

A nice little page :) I know, these supermarkets, they did the same thing here, they could wait and then took over.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 3:51 AM

The views here are quite remarkable. Sort of random hills or mountains sticking up out of a flat plain. It seems funny (to me at least) to read about all the Irish and Cornish influence over there on the other side of the world.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Yup did this in just two clicks :-) One to rate and one to return and comment .

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM

It's probably not a big place, but I would like it!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

When I was in Cornwall last year, I had a Cornish Pastie and thought it would be the best......boy was I disappointed!! The ones I had in Aust. when I lived there (70s) were always much better!! --always a shame when the big stores come into small areas; similar to here.

wise23girl