"Me and Darra" Meandarra by wise23girl
Meandarra Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 3 photos
The story goes that the census man came around when this little spot was still very much 'out of the way' and did not even have a name. Camped on the banks of Brigalow creek were a man and his dog. Probably fishing for golden perch and jewfish
When asked who else lived here the man replied "Just me and Darra" and a town called Meandarra was born.
Our travelling member 'thripence' is there camping right now and reports the town is very clean and tidy....She found the statue of Me and Darra which is still a centre piece of the town....thanks for the photos Trish.
I think she is heading for Condamine...about 55 km (34 miles)away when she can tear herself away. But the locals are giving her a good time.
When we visited Meandarra we stayed in the pub ....room was fine but meals just OK....maybe things have improved now. Why did we come here...well to attend a little country dance. Ronny and the Ramblers were playing.
"Meandarra is the hub of a prime production area of grain, cattle, and sheep and is the location of a popular fishing and camping spot. Meandarra is considered the cultural centre of the Tara area, with the historic School of Arts Hall, local artists and hand-crafts"....from the web....
Meandarra is a town in the Australian state of Queensland. The town is located on Brigalow Creek and in the Western Downs Region local government area, 361 kilometres (224 mi) west of the state capital, Brisbane. At the 2006 census, Meandarra and the surrounding area had a population of 341. First surveyed in 1912, the town derived its name from a pastoral run.
- Pros:A good camping ground
- In a nutshell:Me and Darra
wise23girl's Related Pages
Meandarra Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Meandarra
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Meandarra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meandarra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 160 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 59 reviews, 200 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 57 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 37 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Forster Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue