"Mount Tamborine...It Has Been A Long Time" Mount Tamborine by wise23girl
Mount Tamborine Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 225 photos
It has been many a long day since either of us visited the beautiful Mount Tamborine even though we pass the signs every time we go to the Gold Coast. Some friends moved to there to manage the St Bernard's Hotel so we went for a day trip.(2010)
Owing to the time lag we needed to check we were on the right path. But it was not difficult to find apart from one turn off which I will describe under tips..
Well our friends have moved on elsewhere but the Hotel is still going strong (2011)
So three days into the job and friends arrived (us). But they were delighted to show us around and introduce the hotel mascot a beautiful St. Bernard dog named Leo.
The hotel was built in 1881 and moved to its present location in 1898. There is quite a bit of history...see www.stbernardshotel.com and more in my "Things to Do" tips.
Well there are spectacular views around every corner and bush walks somewhere...well even from the hotel. I am told there are waterfalls.
But what we did see on the Main Western Road where the hang gliders take off. Three of them. Just beautiful to watch the colourful sails open and carry the passenger down to the forest clearing below. In 2011 there were heaps there and little or no parking and some different sort of "bird men" in the air over our heads ...all to land at Canungra I was told.
We arrived on Market Sunday this time and was the Mountain crowded. We did not even attempt to park to have a "bo beep"
Seemed to be quite a few interesting looking places to eat and no doubt where you could buy all sorts of beautiful things. One said "coffee by the log fire" but we had a date at Saint Bernards.
Lunch for us was roast lamb and it was all right...a typical "pub lunch". after being served I needed a little bread to finish off the gravy but, "no", they would not slip me one...I would have had to line up at the end of the now long queue!... not for me. I was willing to pay!
We bought a St Bernards stuffed toy puppy dog to remind us of our day (2010). There are now gollywogs for sale as well...off the banned list but I think you must call then "gollys"
The village itself was a disappointment unless there is another one hidden away we missed.
- Pros:Close to the Gold Coast...a nice days outing
- Cons:The village nothing special
- In a nutshell:Spectacular Views and bush walks
We came off the M1 and through Nerang Village as we were staying at the Gold Coast. The signs were clear until we came... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Mount Tamborine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE GOLD COAST HINTERLAND"
- "MOUNT TAMBOURINE"
- "Beautiful Mt. Tamborine"
- "A wonderful hinterland"
- "Mount Tambourine"
- "Tamborine Mountain Open Gardens 2009"
- "Mount Tamborine – A cool place to escape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Tamborine
- Hotels in Mount Tamborine
- Restaurants in Mount Tamborine
- Shopping in Mount Tamborine
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Tamborine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Tamborine
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Mount Tamborine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Tamborine
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Rieker shoes from Germany"
- updated a Mount Tamborine Travel Page "Mount Tamborine...It Has Been A Long Time"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mount Tamborine...It Has Been A Long Time"
- Wrote a Review One Turn Off Not Well Signed...Improved 2011. in Mount Tamborine Tourist Traps
Photos in Mount TamborineSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 163 reviews, 335 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 53 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 33 reviews, 128 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 38 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brisbane Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairns Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos