"Palmwoods:Nothing is Forever" Top 5 Page for this destination Palmwoods by wise23girl
Palmwoods Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 102 photos
For many years I lived in the hills behind the Palmwoods township and rode horses all around the district. That is what sold me...Country Road. I could see myself cantering up the windy gravel road to the dead end entrance to the property.
We moved there in 1991 when it was still very rural. The neighbour had cows and a bull. And I gained permission to ride through many of the surrounding properties. Strawberries are still grown around this area particularly around nearby Chevallum.
Now there are barb wire fences and many houses where it was once free and open..
My daughter and family lived in this beautiful spot until this year. I was sad that they left... But "progress" has come. The beautiful park and more may have to make way for the planned rail expansion....though in 2014 that is on hold....but nothing is forever.
But do you know you can see my present home, Buderim Mountain ,in the distance and once if you stood" tippy toes "you could see the sea from the verandah of our home. Now the view is obstructed by distant trees but I would not complain about that.
The previous owner had called the property we purchased "Tingaroo" which he told me meant "Home of the Koalas " but alas very few koalas are seen about now. We had to choose a new name as he wanted his to remain on the rest of the property after the subdivision.
So we sort of put a few words together and came up with "Gum Giree" which was to mean place of the gum trees using some Aboriginal words.
We had 2 acres with access to another 30 or 40. Room for a horse. But the beautiful country with its trees and dams now has houses there instead.
Palmwoods has a dance hall right in the middle of town and in its hey day every dance was lively and crowded with people. Even in the early1990s regular dances were held. Even then it was a step back in time to enter the dance. Ladies on their own would still sit along the wall and hope for a dance.
Supper was the old fashioned kind...homemade sandwiches and cakes and tea and coffee made in gigantic teapots. And a proper band played the music.
And then there was the tram that carried passengers from Brisbane up to Buderim Mountain. Restoration of this tram has been completed (May 2010) and it will be located to an appropriate location on Buderim Mountain in the near future.
Buderim and Palmwoods have strong ties still even though the higway divides us.
So for our mystery Tour of small towns and pubs...where to now? Drive back to the Maroochydore round-a-bout and take the Nambour by-pass to Cooran
- Pros:A beautiful spot in the Hinterland.
- Cons:Becoming more populated
- In a nutshell:Loved riding my horse there....once
Well what a great idea which has brought some real life to Palmwoods. Friday night and Saturday morn you will find some... more travel advice
"Meet you at Rick's ...Anytime....for the Best of Times' Well you are the Sunshine Coast....Palmwoods in the Hinterland... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Palmwoods Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palmwoods:Nothing is Forever"
- "A little touch of country"
- "An inviting town in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland"
- "Across the Highway"
- "Nice Place To Take a Visitor"
- "This is Where We Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palmwoods
- Hotels in Palmwoods
- Transportation in Palmwoods
- Nightlife in Palmwoods
- Restaurants in Palmwoods
- Shopping in Palmwoods
- Warnings and Dangers in Palmwoods
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palmwoods
- 15 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Palmwoods?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palmwoods
Photos in PalmwoodsSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 160 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 59 reviews, 200 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 57 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 37 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Forster Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue