"Palmwoods:Nothing is Forever" Top 5 Page for this destination Palmwoods by wise23girl

Palmwoods Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 102 photos

Palmwoods....Home in the Hills

For many years I lived in the hills behind the Palmwoods township and rode horses all around the district. That is what sold me...C.... Road. I could see myself cantering up the windy gravel road to the dead end entrance to the property.
We moved there in 1991 when it was still very rural. The neighbour had cows and a bull. And I gained permission to ride through many of the surrounding properties. Strawberries are still grown around this area particularly around nearby Chevallum.

Now there are barb wire fences and many houses where it was once free and open..

My daughter and family still live in this beautiful spot. But "progress" has come. The beautiful park and more may have to make way for the planned rail expansion. Nothing is forever.
But do you know you can see my present home, B.. Mountain ,in the distance and once if you stood" tippy toes "you could see the sea from the verandah of our home. Now the view is obstructed by distant trees but I would not complain about that.

Koalas

The previous owner had called the property we purchased "Tingaroo" which he told me meant "Home of the Koalas "but alas very few koalas are seen about now. We had to choose a new name as he wanted his to remain on the rest of the property after the subdivision.
So we sort of put a few words together and came up with "Gum Giree" which was to mean place of the gum trees.
We had 2 acres with access to another 30 or 40. Room for a horse. But the beautiful country with its trees and dams now has houses instead.

The Dance and The Tram History

Palmwoods has a dance hall right in the middle of town and in its hey day every dance was lively and crowded with people. Even in the early1990s regular dances were held. Even then it was a step back in time to enter the dance. Ladies on their own would still sit along the wall and hope for a dance.
Supper was the old fashioned kind...homemade sandwiches and cakes and tea and coffee made in gigantic teapots. And a proper band played the music.

And then there was the tram that carried passengers from Brisbane up to Buderim Mountain. Restoration of this tram has been completed (May 2010) and it will be located to an appropriate location on Buderim Mountain in the near future.

So for our mystery Tour of small towns and pubs...where to now? Drive back to the Maroochydore round-a-bout and take the Nambour by-pass to Cooran

• Pros:A beautiful spot in the Hinterland.
  • Cons:Becoming more populated
  • In a nutshell:Loved riding my horse there....once
  • Last visit to Palmwoods: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2012

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Looking good on horse-back :)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM

hi had planned to go to Valentinas euromeet in Macedonia but have work conflicts that take priority so wont see u there sorry...im sure somewhere eventually!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Enjoyable read about your former home town. It's sad to see rural areas get more populated. Sounds like you had a great time riding your horses though.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM

You wouldn't want your dancing dress and shoes to get wet going under the bridge. As a horse rider,I understand why you love the area so much.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM

It sounds like a good place to have lived and enjoy the horse riding days. In my youth-11 years, I got a broken ankle from hopping on a wild mustang. It was mean and fiesty.

• Poppy28's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I see the restoration of the Buderim tram is complete now. N

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM

An interesting look at your former home town. Too bad it’s not so good for horseback riding any more, but at least Palmwoods is right on the train line so people don’t have to be slaves to their cars all the time.

• Bridget21's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Very deceptive spot. Good warning

• ElmoFan's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I love Palmwoods but do not get there very often.

• Eliza2321's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Yes you do need to be careful here after heavy rain. E

wise23girl Used To Live Here!

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Palmwoods

Have you been to Palmwoods?

Latest Activity in Palmwoods