"Pomona ...a special place." Pomona by wise23girl

Pomona Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 27 photos

Another gem at the hairdresser

You are in Australia.
Well I had not been to the Noosa hinterland towns for almost 12 months and had not thought of them for VT until......yes I was at the hairdresser. Another customer was chatting....and reminded me of these great little places you might care to visit.
So to find Pomona travel on the Bruce Highway approx 166 k north of the capital Brisbane, Queensland or travel about 30 minutes from Noosa.

Now what about Pomona.? well there is an Art Gallery in an old railway station and there is an old carriage as well....

And there is the Majestic Theatre built in 1921 which is the only authentic continuously operating silent movie theatre in the world, with pictures accompanied with music on the pipe organ.

Now there is a dress shop I want to go back to...it was closed being Sunday...AND some gorgeous looking eating places but we had something in Cooran ....what a pity

Now here is the special bit...I went back with a friend yesterday...a girlfriend I might add and we wandered around and made a few purchases and chatted to a few people.
How good was that? Pomona folk are so friendly...no hustle and bustle here....people genuinely glad to see you

We met a couple visiting from Nambour...45minutes away on the motorway who come regularly to a gathering of people who save seeds....the old fashioned kind...no hybrids...and the lady also came to Pomona for a special doctor who is able to provide her with pain relief.

And as the cafes were open on a Sunday afternoon and looked so tempting....come this Sept 2013 visit we tried the cafe which was also an antique collectable as well....I think it was the nicest

And there is a grand old pub.

But more than this

Once a timber and dairy town Pomona today is proudly quaint and the locals work to preserve this quality. Originally named Pinbarren siding the town was renamed
Pomona after the goddess of fruit and orchards and in 1909 was the birthplace of the Noosa Shire....amalgamated into the Sunshine Coast some years ago but once again a shire in its own right(2013).

For more on Pomona read here especially on The King of the Mountain (up the nearby Mount Cooroora) Annual Race (already a review by another member.) on the fourth Sunday in July every year.

And now The Great Noosa Annual Walk will pass through Pomona...in fact the 'walkers' might even be going to the pictures....

Our mystery tour of small towns and pubs.

So where to now...I think Kilkivan would be the best choice....so click on the link.

• Pros:Pomona folk just welcome you.
  • In a nutshell:Birthplace of Noosa Shire.
  • Last visit to Pomona: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I’m very impressed that they still show silent movies in Pomona, accompanied live on the pipe organ.

• Sep 21, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Now with Valentino's Restaurant open again, offering dinner and movie deals!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Sep 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Do you live there? I had been 'through' a few times but this was the first real visit....will have to try the dinner and movies deal.

wise23girl