"Pomona ...a special place." Pomona by wise23girl
Pomona Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 27 photos
You are in Australia.
Well I had not been to the Noosa hinterland towns for almost 12 months and had not thought of them for VT until......yes I was at the hairdresser. Another customer was chatting....and reminded me of these great little places you might care to visit.
So to find Pomona travel on the Bruce Highway approx 166 k north of the capital Brisbane, Queensland or travel about 30 minutes from Noosa.
Now what about Pomona.? well there is an Art Gallery in an old railway station and there is an old carriage as well....
And there is the Majestic Theatre built in 1921 which is the only authentic continuously operating silent movie theatre in the world, with pictures accompanied with music on the pipe organ.
Now there is a dress shop I want to go back to...it was closed being Sunday...AND some gorgeous looking eating places but we had something in Cooran ....what a pity
Now here is the special bit...I went back with a friend yesterday...a girlfriend I might add and we wandered around and made a few purchases and chatted to a few people.
How good was that? Pomona folk are so friendly...no hustle and bustle here....people genuinely glad to see you.
We met a couple visiting from Nambour...45minutes away on the motorway who come regularly to a gathering of people who save seeds....the old fashioned kind...no hybrids...and the lady also came to Pomona for a special doctor who is able to provide her with pain relief.
And as the cafes were open on a Sunday afternoon and looked so tempting....come this Sept 2013 visit we tried the cafe which was also an antique collectable as well....I think it was the nicest
And there is a grand old pub.
Once a timber and dairy town Pomona today is proudly quaint and the locals work to preserve this quality. Originally named Pinbarren siding the town was renamed
Pomona after the goddess of fruit and orchards and in 1909 was the birthplace of the Noosa Shire....amalgamated into the Sunshine Coast some years ago but once again a shire in its own right(2013).
For more on Pomona read here especially on The King of the Mountain (up the nearby Mount Cooroora) Annual Race (already a review by another member.) on the fourth Sunday in July every year.
And now The Great Noosa Annual Walk will pass through Pomona...in fact the 'walkers' might even be going to the pictures....
So where to now...I think Kilkivan would be the best choice....so click on the link.
- Pros:Pomona folk just welcome you.
- In a nutshell:Birthplace of Noosa Shire.
"Come and visit the store " they say "and if we dont have it we'll find it" This is a special boutique with lots and... more travel advice
The Old Pomona Railway Station Gallery, operated by Pomona Progress Art Tourism Inc (formerly the Pomona Chamber of... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Pomona Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pomona
- Restaurants in Pomona
- Shopping in Pomona
- Warnings and Dangers in Pomona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pomona
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Pomona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pomona
Photos in PomonaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 160 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 58 reviews, 197 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 57 reviews, 156 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 37 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Forster Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue