"The city of Sin, Sweat, and Sorrow" Top 5 Page for this destination Rockhampton by wise23girl

Rockhampton Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 152 photos

Living here was great

When first we arrived in Rocky I was so sad to be leaving Esk in the Brisbane Valley.

My younger daughter cried "I don't want to go to Rockhaaaampton"

We were in a caravan park , hiding our little dog Vicki, and waiting for accommodation. Turned out to be another oldish house in desperate need of a clean (shades of Esk)

But we had many good years in Rocky...and I was proud to say I lived there.
I worked at the Mater Hospital as a registered nurse... a nurse educator...Accreditation Coordinator and ended being appointed to the University Council...an honour for sure.

My elder daughter met her wonderful Peter and was married in Rocky. They lived for some years on their family property outside Springsure

The people helped

It was not always easy to find friends in Rocky according to some who moved there. Newcomers were not impressed. But there were former "Eskites" living here who took me under their wing...made a difference.

Social life was only for those 'in the know'...pretty quiet for those passing through. The Sydneysiders of the day with their" twin sets and pearls" somehow did not quite fit in.

Rocky is where I first saw disco dancing...it never suited me...I just cannot wriggle in disco style even to this day.

Then I went horse riding which began a fantastic part of my life. We used to ride on the North side ....around the streets and then out on the quieter roads. My horse Honda is in the photo with the review and my faithful wonderful cattle dog Mitzie who followed me wherever I went..

And Elizabeth, another friend, and me organized our Snowy Mountain horse riding adventure while living in Rockhampton. Long long before VT Days.

My husband,Brian, and I actually lived here twice...living in Toowoomba for nine months or so in between but then it was back home to Rocky and the heat.
My son did a lot of swimming here...hours for me sitting by the pool while he trained...he slept well though ...a real bonus.

Flood Time and Mango Trees

The strange thing here was that when the rains came...and it rained and rained... it was only when the sun was shining and then and only then( as a rule) did the floods come. Mind you Rockhampton can be surrounded by water and "cut off". The poor people who lived in Depot Hill had to get their row boats out in flood time. But it was a way of life for them I believe..friends helped friends...

The story is that Rocky has a massive catchment area and it takes a few days for the water to 'come down'.

Our second time in Rocky brought us to Henry Street...we had a double block and lived in an old Queenslander with verandahs and rotundas. A magnificent poinceana tree commanded the garden and mango trees were on the fence line. Memories of the smell of rotting mangoes when we returned from holidays in summer haunt me still.

And now all these years later my friend who is ex Rockhampton as well as myself reminded me of something I had almost forgotten and so in honour of VT member wabat who has a wonderful quote on Canberra I give you this description of Rockhampton.......by Anthony Trollope

Rockhampton the City of Sin, Sweat and Sorrow 1871

There are photos and stories of some of my friends here*.

• Pros:Just a big country town
  • Cons:Floods...humidity...so far to drive to the south-east
  • In a nutshell:It was great living in Rockhampton
  • Last visit to Rockhampton: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 24, 2014

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Love the motto for Rockhampton haha..

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Molly,
    A great insight to Rocky as could only be written by a resident (ex). I'm flattered by the reference to me and my Canberra page. Very interesting the Trollope visited Rocky and even more interesting that he recorded his thoughts on it. I missed out on the sin - perhaps i should have stayed overnight ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Too bad about the periodic floods and the humidity. But all in all it sounds like a fine place to live.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Brings back fond memories of my horse riding along a beach..
    You summed up Rockhampton very well.

wise23girl Used To Live Here!

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Rockhampton

Have you been to Rockhampton?