"Leave the Tableland and find Tamworth" Top 5 Page for this destination Tamworth by wise23girl

Tamworth Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 141 photos

The Country Music Capital

Mind how you come down from the high ground...they need to have safety ramps for the semitrailers.....

Coming down from The New England Tableland is very steep so mind yourself when driving and mind your ears do not POP! It can also mean the weather is suddenly much warmer...even HOT in summer.

We have been in Tamworth regularly over the past years. On our way to Hartwood Camp Fires and Country Music, sometimes en route to Sydney,and in 2012 to the Elvis Festival in Parkes. Of course once we came to attend the Country Music Week for which Tamworth is now famous.It was a great time...but oh a very hot year.

Tamworth has a healthy economy. of course tourism especially at Festival time is very important to the economy....just try to find accommodation in January
Important agricultural activities in the region include beef, sheep, grain, dairy, poultry and lucerne. , and of course there are wineries...feel like a cheeky red?

And it is a long day driving from the Sunshine Coast I can tell you. What makes it longer is the "daylight saving"! Once you cross the border 5pm becomes 6pm! How does that happen??

Where to go from Tamworth

You can continue on The New England Highway either back up the Range heading north to Armidale or south to Muswellbrook and over to Newcastle(north of Sydney).

The Oxley Highway will lead you across to Gunnedah, Coonabarabran, and Gilgandra and you can meet up with the Newell Highway.

The Virtual Tour

So we arrive in Tamworth for an overnight stay. Be about another 4 hours to Parkes. We leave now on the Oxley Highway to join with the Newell HIghway at Gilgandra.

But first we call in at Gunnedah. Have I a page for Gunnedah? No! Better just make a note as I have a bit to say about Gunnedah....but no page you cannot stop there. Oh better fill up with petrol here in Tamworth.

So we will be stopping for a 'cuppa' in Coonabarrabrun. Do follow my link there to iandsmith's page as there are hidden secrets to discover. More than just coffee.

• Cons:Can be very hot in summer
  • In a nutshell:Music in the streets every January
  • Last visit to Tamworth: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 9, 2012

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I would really love to go for the country music festival but the thought of the crowds puts me off, shy and retiring as I am. That french restaurant outside of january might be a goer though.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Oct 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Am battling on my slow netbook while PC away but thank you for the visit.
      I hope to never go back to Tamworth for the Country Music Festival...too hot and accommodation the pits where we stayed.
      Go rather to Hartwood Camp Fires and country music at Easter...but you need to camp.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

So Tamworth has a the Country Music Week and a French restaurant. They have Daylight Saving in NSW but not in Queensland? Or the other way round?

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Feb 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yes NSW has daylight saving...Qld does not. Country Music week is in high summer and very hot...once was enough for me.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Lovely.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Ah yes....Tamworth. Howie's sister lives here. We so need to come back one day!! xx

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I love the French restaurant...and all your Tamworth page. Thanks for sharing.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

some fond memories in the area, as I had special friends living in the countryside there; lovely photo of you at French restaurant!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM

oh yes, Tamworth, I had a great day there as well !

wise23girl Visits Here Frequently!

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Tamworth

Have you been to Tamworth?