"Leave the Tableland and find Tamworth" Top 5 Page for this destination Tamworth by wise23girl
Tamworth Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 141 photos
Mind how you come down from the high ground...they need to have safety ramps for the semitrailers.....
Coming down from The New England Tableland is very steep so mind yourself when driving and mind your ears do not POP! It can also mean the weather is suddenly much warmer...even HOT in summer.
We have been in Tamworth regularly over the past years. On our way to Hartwood Camp Fires and Country Music, sometimes en route to Sydney,and in 2012 to the Elvis Festival in Parkes. Of course once we came to attend the Country Music Week for which Tamworth is now famous.It was a great time...but oh a very hot year.
Tamworth has a healthy economy. of course tourism especially at Festival time is very important to the economy....just try to find accommodation in January
Important agricultural activities in the region include beef, sheep, grain, dairy, poultry and lucerne. , and of course there are wineries...feel like a cheeky red?
And it is a long day driving from the Sunshine Coast I can tell you. What makes it longer is the "daylight saving"! Once you cross the border 5pm becomes 6pm! How does that happen??
You can continue on The New England Highway either back up the Range heading north to Armidale or south to Muswellbrook and over to Newcastle(north of Sydney).
The Oxley Highway will lead you across to Gunnedah, Coonabarabran, and Gilgandra and you can meet up with the Newell Highway.
So we arrive in Tamworth for an overnight stay. Be about another 4 hours to Parkes. We leave now on the Oxley Highway to join with the Newell HIghway at Gilgandra.
But first we call in at Gunnedah. Have I a page for Gunnedah? No! Better just make a note as I have a bit to say about Gunnedah....but no page you cannot stop there. Oh better fill up with petrol here in Tamworth.
So we will be stopping for a 'cuppa' in Coonabarrabrun. Do follow my link there to iandsmith's page as there are hidden secrets to discover. More than just coffee.
- Cons:Can be very hot in summer
- In a nutshell:Music in the streets every January
This place looked charming from the outside but it turned out to be a pub...just a little on 'the greasy spoon' side but... more travel advice
Tamworth NSW, Australia. The French restaurant, Le Pruneau, where we enjoyed a very appetising dinner, hosts a small... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Tamworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweetberry's Tamworth Page.."
- "Leave the Tableland and find Tamworth"
- "Tamworth - Country Music Capital"
- "Tamworth - Australia's Home of Country Music"
- "Stop for the Night"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tamworth
- Hotels in Tamworth
- Nightlife in Tamworth
- Restaurants in Tamworth
- See All...
Explore the World
- Jessie M Honeyman Memorial State Park Hotels
- Muhafazat Janub Sina'
- Danau Singkarak Hotels
- Lago di Varese Hotels
- Shidu Hotels
- Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Hotels
- Smiths Falls
- Gulfport Hotels
- Lake Geneva
- Port Angeles
- Serra de Arrábida
- Fort Pierce
Badges & Stats in Tamworth
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Tamworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tamworth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 329 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 54 reviews, 143 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 43 reviews, 134 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 35 reviews, 133 photos, 6 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
Latest Tamworth hotel reviews
- Tamworth Towers Motor Inn (Oxley Highway And Ebsworth St Tamworth Ns 2340)
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 7, 2012
- Best Western All Settlers Motor Inn
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Hallmark At Tamworth
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Best Western Tamworth Motor Inn
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Best Western Sanctuary Inn
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Flag Inn Powerhouse Boutique
- 1 Review & Opinion