"Tenterfield...A Federation Town" Tenterfield by wise23girl

Tenterfield Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 87 photos

If there is a cyclone

Where is Tenterfield?
Try the intersection of the New England Highway with the Bruxner Highway. ...just a few kilometres from the Queensland border with New South Wales.
Close to Sydney? Well about 10 hours on the road
Why is Tenterfield famous?
It is the birthplace of our nation.......and the Tenterfield Saddler Song

Tenterfield is known as "The Birthplace of Our Nation" - Sir Henry Parkes delivering his famous Federation Speech in the Tenterfield School of Arts on 24th October 1889. This Speech ultimately led to the Federation of all Australian States on January 1st 1901.

The main industries in the Tenterfield district are beef cattle breeding and superfine wool production through the breeding of Merino sheep.

We stopped in a park on the side of town closest to Queensland....you know the drill "Stop regularly and stay alive" and I noticed this hanging rock... well I suppose some others from VT noticed it as well but as the Tenterfield saddler idea has been taken I thought to use the rock.

Weather Forecast
....if rock is.....
Dry .............Fine
Wet.............Rain
White..........Snow
Swinging.....Windy
Jumping.......Earthquake
Gone............Cyclone

Tenterfield being high on the tableland is known as a cool refuge from the heat of the lower towns

The Railway Station Museum

We stopped in Tenterfield some years ago before VT days and spent time at this fabulous station amd museum.

On our way south at Easter...2012 we plan to visit again and find out more about the history. I finallychecked out more information for my Wallangarra page....

The Tenterfield Railway Station Museum

We have just visited the Museum for ourselves (April 2012) and it is well worth a couple of hours or more especially if you are a train 'buff'

Our Virtual Tour starting on Buderim, Queensland

If you have just discovered the tour you can read all about it here and start at the beginning.....

Otherwise visit the Railway Museum...see the weather rock and be on your way. (I must admit there is a bit more here in Tenterfield but it has been written up by... shhhhsh! other members)

Now we also pass through Glen Innes when we travel this route and I now have written up Glen Innes . I was there as a wee baby and a number of times since. A pleasant and sometimes 'cool' town (weather wise).

So it is on to Guyra...hope it is lamb and potato time!

• Pros:Great for a stop under the trees
  • In a nutshell:Tenterfield Saddler Song
  • Last visit to Tenterfield: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Good that they also have a railway station museum.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It is always good to see VT members going where other VT members have recommended :)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Great to see the vt name put out there Margy! It's nice to stay at a place that another vt member has recommended hey :o) Loved the weather Rock...that is sooo Aussie!! haha :o) xx

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

The garden will look great in afew years time.Love the weather Rock.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Hi Marg
    This prompted me to think of The Tenterfield Saddler - same town I presume?
    It's one of my favourite songs and never fails to bring a tear to my eye!
    Regards
    Cathy

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Tenterfield

Have you been to Tenterfield?