"Tenterfield...A Federation Town" Tenterfield by wise23girl
Tenterfield Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 87 photos
Where is Tenterfield?
Try the intersection of the New England Highway with the Bruxner Highway. ...just a few kilometres from the Queensland border with New South Wales.
Close to Sydney? Well about 10 hours on the road
Why is Tenterfield famous?
It is the birthplace of our nation.......and the Tenterfield Saddler Song
Tenterfield is known as "The Birthplace of Our Nation" - Sir Henry Parkes delivering his famous Federation Speech in the Tenterfield School of Arts on 24th October 1889. This Speech ultimately led to the Federation of all Australian States on January 1st 1901.
The main industries in the Tenterfield district are beef cattle breeding and superfine wool production through the breeding of Merino sheep.
We stopped in a park on the side of town closest to Queensland....you know the drill "Stop regularly and stay alive" and I noticed this hanging rock... well I suppose some others from VT noticed it as well but as the Tenterfield saddler idea has been taken I thought to use the rock.
....if rock is.....
Tenterfield being high on the tableland is known as a cool refuge from the heat of the lower towns
We stopped in Tenterfield some years ago before VT days and spent time at this fabulous station amd museum.
On our way south at Easter...2012 we plan to visit again and find out more about the history. I finallychecked out more information for my Wallangarra page....
The Tenterfield Railway Station Museum
We have just visited the Museum for ourselves (April 2012) and it is well worth a couple of hours or more especially if you are a train 'buff'
If you have just discovered the tour you can read all about it here and start at the beginning.....
Otherwise visit the Railway Museum...see the weather rock and be on your way. (I must admit there is a bit more here in Tenterfield but it has been written up by... shhhhsh! other members)
Now we also pass through Glen Innes when we travel this route and I now have written up Glen Innes . I was there as a wee baby and a number of times since. A pleasant and sometimes 'cool' town (weather wise).
So it is on to Guyra...hope it is lamb and potato time!
- Pros:Great for a stop under the trees
- In a nutshell:Tenterfield Saddler Song
So you will have no trouble finding the Museum as it is right in town and the helpfull volunteers have a 'meet and... more travel advice
Tenterfield NSW, Australia Formerly the' Comfort Inn Henry Parkes' Well we chose this Motel as it was written up by V T... more travel advice
wise23girl's Related Pages
Tenterfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birthplace of a Nation"
- "PETER ALLEN WAS BORN HERE........"
- "Tenterfield...A Federation Town"
- "Tenterfield, Northern N.S.W."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tenterfield
- Hotels in Tenterfield
- Restaurants in Tenterfield
- Shopping in Tenterfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tenterfield
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Tenterfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tenterfield
- Posted in Travel State of Queensland Forum "Re: About Toll Charges in..."
- updated a Tenterfield Travel Page "Tenterfield...A Federation Town"
- Commented on one of wise23girl's Tenterfield tips
- Wrote a Review Enjoy The Tenterfield Railway Museum in Tenterfield Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enjoy The Tenterfield Railway Museum"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 159 reviews, 330 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buderim Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maroochydore Intro, 55 reviews, 146 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 36 reviews, 138 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 29 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lismore Intro, 11 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montville Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maleny Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yandina Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Canberra Intro, 10 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue