"Troops and Trains and a Border" Wallangarra by wise23girl

Wallangarra Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 23 photos

A Troop Transfer Station

Many years ago trains pulled up at the station and folk hopped from one train to the other
This little town on the border on Queensland and New South Wales was the link betwen the 3 foot 6 inch guage of Queensland rail and the 4 foot 81/2 guage of New South Wales(standard guage).
Today the trains only run from Wooloongarra to Stanthorpe on the New England Tableland(Queensland)....There is a steam train ride you can do...I think it comes form Warwick....there is a brochure in the cafe on the station.

And in 2013 the Railway Cafe is fairly NEW...so see my review below.

The glory days are long gone! But the impressive Victorian railway station. keeps the memory alive.

During the 2nd World War hundreds of troops passed through Wooloongarra...and meals were supplied as they changed trains. It must have been a nightmare for the commanding officers to cope with the different guages....really slowed up the movement of the troops between states.

Post Office

Well you can still post a letter here...at a "border" town but think of how many letters were posted here in between trains when the troops passed through.

I learned today that the little post office here today was NOT the original...the one the troops used was on the platform.

Wallangarra (plenty of water) was first settled in the 1840s as graziers pushed into the rich grazing country of the Darling Downs.... but not much is going on here today.

At one time there was an a large beef abattoir ...but this has since closed. I am not sure if the Mutton Works which produce Halal, for export to Arab countries is still there.

We were told the Tenterfield Railway Museum just down the road apiece in New South Wales would tell us more of the history.

HOT NEWS...Wallangarra has its own Museum now as well...see below

Our Virtual Tour from Buderim Qld to Parkes.

You will be glad you stopped here but you will need to stop again just a little way down the road to visit the Railway Museum in Tenterfield to follow up on the history of Wallangarra.
Hope you enjoyed being on the border of NSW and Queensland.
So off we go to Tenterfield of the song "Tenterfield Saddler" fame.

By the way we started in Buderim Queensland. Stopped overnight in Brisbane and here we are having lunch.

.......................So now please follow me to Tenterfield

• Pros:A Driver Reviver stop
  • In a nutshell:Some interesting history about the railway
  • Last visit to Wallangarra: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

This is a place I would love to visit -- if only they still had train service.

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Marg, interesting little town. Love he platform cafe and the little house in NSW

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 2:59 PM

What an interesting little page Margy!...and I love your photos too!! Very cute!! :o) xx

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2012 at 6:02 AM

just walked about, stretched my legs. why are the rail gauges different in the two states?

• wabat's Profile Photo
      Mar 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM

Val, im sure Marg wont mind me answering as she may have missed your post. Its long story .. Basically the different states did their own things in earlier times (they still do lol) with result diff guagues were used all over the country. No good reason for it.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
      Mar 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Thanks Albert...I am out of range most of time till after Easter

wise23girl

“We are Dancing People”

Badges & Stats in Wallangarra

Have you been to Wallangarra?

Photos in Wallangarra