"My days at York College of Pennsylvania" York by SheDragon

York Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 41 photos

I spent four years living in York, PA while I attending York College of PA. YCP is a great school if you like small schools without football teams, which I do. I loved my time at YCP, and wouldn't give it up for anything. The degree I got there may be getting dusty, but it's not for lack of trying on the part of everyone at the college. I met a lot of good people, learned how to use a computer (okay, that's proabably the biggest thing I took with me from college, my addiction to email!), and learned that I just wasn't cut out to be a teacher. (Better I learned it there than in front of a classroom!)

York itself is filled with a lot of history and culture (and some backwoods stuff, too). Philadelphia may have been where all the action happened, but York was the first capital of the United States. Admittedly, when I was there I was more concerned with my own life than what happened approximately a million years before, so I never did anything really worth a mention here (unless you want to hear about my college escapades, of which there really aren't that many). Things to see in York Include the York Fair (which I never saw *lol*) and Resevoir Hill (it overlooks York College on Country Club Rd, I was on it, but I never sledded down it on a cafeteria tray like most students).

About a half an hour to an hour away from York, in Manheim, PA is the Mt. Hope Estate and Winery, home to the Pennsylvania Rennaissance Fair. The group there do the Faire during the summer, and "Theatre in the Mansion" during the rest of the year. For Halloween, they have "Poe Evermore" where they act out scary stories (usually Poe's, but they throw in others occasionally). For Christmas, they have "A Charles Dickens Victorian Christmas." There are also other shows done in the mansion, but these are the only two I have been able to see, and they are definitely memorable. For the alcoholic in you, there are wine tastings between activites, and it is always fun to taste the different kinds of wine they make there (which are all available for sale in the gift shop, of course). If you want to learn more, visit their web site at
<a href="http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/">http://www.parenaissancefaire.com/</a>

• Last visit to York: Nov 2000
  • Intro Written Mar 28, 2002

Comments

SheDragon

“The Queen of the Directionally Challenged”

Badges & Stats in York