"Every Picture Tells A Story" lynnehamman's Profile

A Love Affair

Another upcoming trip to London and Paris in January 2014
Brrrrrrrrr its going to be cold. And I will spend a full week alone in Paris........time for quiet reflection and husband-free shopping at the sales!

Our very recent trip to France and UK was a huge success. (Sept 2013)
Had a wonderful time, photos and hopefully some pages to follow

Looking forward to our upcoming trip to Europe- August/September 2013
France and UK

NEXT STOP ITALY- JULY 2012- had a wonderful time. We loved Italy

Oman 2011

Greece and Islands 2011- fun trip

THERE ARE MANY LINKS ON THIS PAGE. CLICK ON THOSE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ MORE ABOUT.

My love affair with India began after reading Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book. I was 10 years old. I devoured every bit of information, and from then on, read everything I could about India. I still do. Problem was that my friends wanted to talk about the usual childhood interests, I wanted to talk about travelling, and history and exotic places...........so life went on. I have always been, and still am , a curious & restless person. New sounds, sights and smells stimulate me greatly. I have been to many countries, but India has a special place in my heart, and I will always return there

I BELIEVE THAT IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE VISITING INDIA FOR THE FIRST TIME TO READ AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT THE COUNTRY AND CULTURE BEFORE VISITING. BEING PREPARED WILL MAKE IT AN ENJOYABLE AND UNFORGETTABLE TIME.

IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHAT TO TAKE ALONG IN YOUR INDIAN TRIP read the tip on this page India packing tips

To visit any of the destinations or places listed- click on the link

Mahatma Gandhi has always been my inspiration - the shining light I have always tried to follow. His words, written and spoken so long ago, are still so relevant in todays troubled world.

To see how Gandhi lived , visit my AHMADABAD page.

Realising the Dream

I grew up, got my education in CAPE TOWN ,started a career, worked,saved and went travelling. It was not just the actual new destinations that I always looked forward to seeing.The anticipation and the actual WAY OF GETTING THERE was exciting to me. Discovering different ways of travel. My favourite mode of travel wherever possible has always been by train in different countries. My best train journey ever has been across the breadth of India to Kolkata-
See my travelogue KOLKATA

If you love trains see my impressions of this wonderful Railway Museum Delhi

After seeing many places, and finally, after much persuasion, my reluctant husband decided to come with me, and realise my dream....of going to India. We have since had a few extensive trips there, and he has fallen in love too.....
Now that our children are older, we are free to travel, and do so at every opportunity. We find India to be interesting because we got bored with many other places...shopping malls, glamorous people and organized tours.In India, we found unexpected sights, unspoiled scenery & so much history.
I do hope India does not change too much... it has its problems, but the Indian people are resourcful, and have conquered the challenges and survived many tragedies. Being naturally friendly and curious,most Indian people are always willing to share a chat , and we have made some enduring friendships as we travel - after all, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

VISIT MY PAGE
INDIA to understand why I love the country so much.

While browsing India page, listen to this;

Kawa kawa kawa (FROM MONSOON WEDDING)

One of the best kept secrets in India - ELLORA CAVES near AURANGABAD
See my Album

Although it is not on the usual tourist trail, KOLKATA is worth a visit. Read about it.

My Favourite India Picture was taken at:JAISALMER

IF YOU CARE ABOUT ELEPHANTS -please read my story about the plight of elephants in JAIPUR

Next Trip - new explorations & re-visiting

I look forward to re-visiting DELHI There are still many undiscovered treasures to find in this fascinating old city
We will also be re-visiting RAJASTHAN - which is my favourite state in India

FINALLY-WE SAW THE MONUMENT TO LOVE - it was more beautiful than any photograph I have seen of it
TAJ MAHAL

Please visit my DELHI Page DelhiI have added many new tips.

WE ALSO TRAVELLED TO WEST BENGAL- HOPING TO SEE A TIGER
SUNDERBANS

Well!!- we are back home from our latest trip to India. We had lots of adventures, and again made some wonderful new friends. Best of all was catching up with old friends that we have made on previous trips. It was wonderful to see them all again.
I will be making some new pages soon,and updating others.
My new photo is of Yogi- an orphaned baby elephant that was adopted by Sanjeev Mehta, reared by him, and now lives in Rajiji National Park, near Haridwar. It was a highlight of our trip, making friends with Yogi & Sanjeev.More of them later.

Read about YOGI in my HARIDWAR things to do section and

RAJIJI NATIONAL PARK

Sunsets in India

Sunset is my favourite time of day. Its usually cool, the air crisp, and the clouds are a special kind of pink.And its a time of day when people can unwind and relax.
I have photographed countless sunsets, around the world. Indian sunsets are without a doubt, the most beautiful to me. The light in India is somehow different. Softer.
Our last family holiday, with our children, was at KRUGER NATIONAL PARK,where besides the wildlife, there are beautiful sunsets.

This Photo was taken from the Rooftop Restuarant of our Favorite Hotel in
UDAIPUR

How we Travel

Our very best travel experiences have come about because of spur of the moment decisions......making an unplanned side trip, jumping on a train to anywhere, finding a great guest-house, just by walking around.Planning is certainly necessary to a degree, but I like the flexibility of being able to just go where we feel like going to, and leave what we don't enjoy...
We love to meet the local people, eat in local eating places, and most of all, just WALK, and discover things that could have been missed.
Too many people check into their luxury hotels, take a guided tour, and don't really see the REAL city that they are visiting.......This is sad & unfortunate. One should be a traveller not a tourist. And travel light.....less baggage is more. .

See my travelogue on
KOLKATA!

%L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/110824/5eb/]L*

Travelling together

It is such a pleasure travelling with Richard. He is patient, courteous, and has a wonderful sense of humour, all qualities that are needed when travelling.

Fortunately we also have the same interests- so there is never a conflict about where we will go, or what we will do. He makes little sketches of things he finds really interesting, and I write notes in my diary. We both love walking, and meeting people and train travel.Going on a trip anywhere together is as good as it gets. We not only discover new places- we also re-discover each other.

Although we have visited other parts of the world- I think that my Indian pages will probably dominate- this is the country that I feel really happy to be in. I have, however, added a few other countries, and will continue to add more as I go along.

See the drawings Album

OUR NEXT ADVENTURE WILL BE A TRIP TO ITALY (JULY 2012) WHERE WE WILL SPEND ONE WEEK STAYING IN IN A 12TH CENTURY MONASTRY (NOW A B&B) IN TUSCANY-WE WILL HIRE A CAR AND EXPLORE TUSCANY - THEREAFTER WE HAVE 15 DAYS TRAVELLING AROUND THE COUNTRY. MILAN,PISA, FLORENCE,SIENNA ,ROME,NAPLES, VENICE- AND HOPEFULLY MANY OTHER SMALL INTERESTING VILLAGES. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS- A NEW CHAPTER.

Thanks Everyone

Thank You to everyone who visits my pages. I hope that you find something of interest. I enjoyed making them, and I hope you enjoy reading them.

FOR FIRST TIME TRAVELLERS TO INDIA, AND WOMEN TRAVELLERS, I HAVE GIVEN SOME IDEAS THAT MIGHT HELP

-see the link below

CUSTOMS & CULTURE IN INDIA

I am trying to sort out photos from our travels in other parts of the world- many were taken pre-digital time-, and need to scanned or re-photographed and uploaded. Building pages of our other travels is going to be a real memory trip!
Some people may be surprised that I have made a new page that does not involve India. LOL! Yes I have! MY NEWEST PAGE:
Have a look at NEW YORK

MUMBAI
BARMER

My VERY newest INDIA page is:

ELLORA

I HAVE JUST ADDED MY VERY FIRST VIDEO, TAKEN AT THE SUNDERBANS- ITS A FLOP - BUT ENJOY THE MUSIC!

WELL- WE HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM OUR LATEST ADVENTURE. IT TOOK AN UNEXPECTED TURN, BUT WE DID SEE EVERYTHING WE HAD PLANNED TO SEE, AND ALSO HAD A SURPRISE VISIT TO GREECE. WE SPENT TIME IN ATHENS, SANTORINI AND NAXOS ISLAND. WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME, AND I HOPE TO POST SOME PAGES SOON.

Here is my first new page about Oman (more to follow hopefully)

OMAN

Bintan

Singapore:

Singapore

• Intro Updated Apr 3, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
lynnehamman's Profile Photo

lynnehamman

“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.- Rudyard Kipling”

Real Name