"ABUNDANT WILD LIFE-KRUGER NATIONAL PARK" Kruger National Park by lynnehamman
Kruger National Park Travel Guide: 675 reviews and 1,769 photos
Our last visit to the Kruger National Park holds many memories. I will get to that in a while.
Kruger Park is world famous for its prolific wild life, bird population and beautiful scenery.One of the largest wild life parks in the world, it covers an area of almost 20,000km, it is situated in northeast South Africa, about 5 hour drive from Johannesburg.There are many private game parks and rest-camps situated within the borders of the park, and many trails that can be followed. That being said, one can, however, see game everywhere within just a short space of time. The birdlife is varied and prolific, and the flora is colourful. In parts there is short scrubby bushland, savannah and thorn bush. African trees, particuarly the Boabab, are abundant.It contains 2000 species of plants.
We all had our own transport, so we were able to drive into the park. Usually this was very early morning, before sunrise, or late afternoon before sunset. The animals are most visible at these times. The best way to spot anything ,we found, was just to stop the car, and wait. Within minutes, we saw game. The park has a wide variety of wildlife., The sound of these magnificent animals was all around us. Its really like being in another world. We did get to see the "Big Five"
It is possible to take a guided tour- but these are always hasty affairs, and one is limited by the time that they allow on stops.The photo opportunities are irristable.
.My brother-in-law had planned this family reunion at the Kruger National Park as a celebration for his 50th birthday. After much logistical planning, which involved gathering family from different parts of the world, we all finally met up. It was a very joyeous first night celebration-My parents-in-law finally had all their children and Grandchildren gathered around them.
My mother-in-law, who despite being very ill, was determined to make the trip. With the help of a private nurse, and in a wheelchair, was especially happy to be there. She had been ill for along time.
Tragically, the very next morning, she passed away quietly, in my daughter's arms- I think she knew that she was going, and had hung on until she could see us all once more. She was cremated the next day at a nearby town. We held a beautiful farewell service for her at sunset, on the banks of the river. my father-in-law, as head of the family, decided that we should stay on for a few days, so we did. Mom would have wanted that. It was a sad week. Fortunately Mom did get out with everyone to see the animals on our first day. Thats a memory to treasure.
- In a nutshell:A must see for any visitor to South Africa
The Kruger National Park has an extraordinary colourful history. François de Cuiper was the first explorer and led a... more travel advice
Backpack- Normal size and small day back Good walking boots- (prefarably with ankle-covering)- Sandals for comfort when... more travel advice
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Kruger National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "*THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK* and the surrouding area"
- "Kruger, the total wildlife experience..in comfort!"
- "Kruger National Park"
- "The Kruger National Park – Wildlife Paradise"
- "NON-STOP WILDLIFE"
- "Kruger by Car !"
- "Another Giraffe?!?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kruger National Park
- Hotels in Kruger National Park
- Transportation in Kruger National Park
- Nightlife in Kruger National Park
- Restaurants in Kruger National Park
- Shopping in Kruger National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kruger National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kruger National Park
- 9 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 81 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (119)
Have you been to Kruger National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kruger National Park
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium, "
- updated a Kruger National Park Travel Page "ABUNDANT WILD LIFE-KRUGER NATIONAL PARK"
- Commented on one of lynnehamman's Kruger National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Kruger National Park- a Brief History in Kruger National Park Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "TAKE IT SLOW & ENJOY IT MORE"
Photos in Kruger National ParkSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue