VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"ABUNDANT WILD LIFE-KRUGER NATIONAL PARK" Kruger National Park by lynnehamman

Kruger National Park Travel Guide: 675 reviews and 1,769 photos

Re-Visiting Kruger National Park.

Our last visit to the Kruger National Park holds many memories. I will get to that in a while.
Kruger Park is world famous for its prolific wild life, bird population and beautiful scenery.One of the largest wild life parks in the world, it covers an area of almost 20,000km, it is situated in northeast South Africa, about 5 hour drive from Johannesburg.There are many private game parks and rest-camps situated within the borders of the park, and many trails that can be followed. That being said, one can, however, see game everywhere within just a short space of time. The birdlife is varied and prolific, and the flora is colourful. In parts there is short scrubby bushland, savannah and thorn bush. African trees, particuarly the Boabab, are abundant.It contains 2000 species of plants.

We all had our own transport, so we were able to drive into the park. Usually this was very early morning, before sunrise, or late afternoon before sunset. The animals are most visible at these times. The best way to spot anything ,we found, was just to stop the car, and wait. Within minutes, we saw game. The park has a wide variety of wildlife., The sound of these magnificent animals was all around us. Its really like being in another world. We did get to see the "Big Five"
It is possible to take a guided tour- but these are always hasty affairs, and one is limited by the time that they allow on stops.The photo opportunities are irristable.

.My brother-in-law had planned this family reunion at the Kruger National Park as a celebration for his 50th birthday. After much logistical planning, which involved gathering family from different parts of the world, we all finally met up. It was a very joyeous first night celebration-My parents-in-law finally had all their children and Grandchildren gathered around them.
My mother-in-law, who despite being very ill, was determined to make the trip. With the help of a private nurse, and in a wheelchair, was especially happy to be there. She had been ill for along time.
Tragically, the very next morning, she passed away quietly, in my daughter's arms- I think she knew that she was going, and had hung on until she could see us all once more. She was cremated the next day at a nearby town. We held a beautiful farewell service for her at sunset, on the banks of the river. my father-in-law, as head of the family, decided that we should stay on for a few days, so we did. Mom would have wanted that. It was a sad week. Fortunately Mom did get out with everyone to see the animals on our first day. Thats a memory to treasure.

• In a nutshell:A must see for any visitor to South Africa
  • Last visit to Kruger National Park: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Lynn . Thanks for your pages.we are planning our trip for this sept...such a sad time firvyiurvfamiky ...but a beautiful way to say Good. bye with all your family there.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Just going down memory lane, Lynne.

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2011 at 7:22 AM

One day I WILL visit Kruger the NP of all NP's!

• dropbear's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2011 at 10:28 PM

My partener and I were in Kruger for 10 days in August 2010 . I fully undestand how you feel, with so much game to see. I'm planning to be there for my 50th in a few years

• Sep 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM

What a wonderful parting to the next life for your mother-in-law - sad, but surrounded by all her loved ones. The beauty of the park, the animals and connections of family makes one stop and say how lucky we are to have this stunning planet.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

What a fascinating experience to view so many animals! A great page!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM

OH MY! such an experience for you and your family! so wonderful, as u say that she got to be w her family again in such a setting...lots of great photos/tips; I can imagine a little what it's like, havg been to the jungles of Lanka and many wild animals.

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Struck by the sad memories you also share here and struck by the beautiful pics of the big five!!!!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I shall say it is the best place to visit. I love animals and birds, the buffalos and the hippos make the day for you. I told you before that your writing skills are similar to LP. Please write to them also.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Oh great, another good idea for the famous 50 celebration :-)) Lynne, your wildlife photos are magnificent!! I must visit the national parks one day!

lynnehamman Visits Here Frequently!

lynnehamman

“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.- Rudyard Kipling”

Badges & Stats in Kruger National Park

Have you been to Kruger National Park?