"Great Escape from Singapore" Pulau Bintan by lynnehamman
Pulau Bintan Travel Guide: 459 reviews and 1,449 photos
We recently spent some time in Singapore, and- having been to the city so many times, needed to do something completely different.
Doing a bit of online research, we decided to spend a few days on Bintan Island, which is a 55min fast ferry ride from Singapore.
Although we are not fond of resorts, the island does not offer many options regarding accommodation. We chose Bintan Lagoon Resort.
Bintan Island is quite large, but the resorts seem to be concentrated in certain parts. We were situated in northern area of Lagoi.
For the most part though, Bintan is quite old style Indonesia. Fishing villages abound, and the main town, Tanjung Pinang has markets and shops selling local produce and artifacts.
Driving along the road from the ferry port to our resort, we passed many small villages. There seemed to be a large police presence. We discovered later that the President of Indonesia was due to stay at the Bintan Lagoon resort, and was expected shortly. Much fuss in hotel lobby, with bodyguards et al standing guard. We did not see him actually arrive, but it was obvious from the frantic scurrying around of staff that the man had arrived.
Bintan has plenty of attractions. The golf courses look almost unaturally green. The exotic flora is attractive.
We found that the people living on the island were extremely welcoming, which is not a surprise. The islands main source of income is tourism.
The beaches are wide and wild. We did not swim, because the currents were very strong, but walking those deserted beaches is an extreme delight.
Bintan Island is just an hour away from Singapore by Fast Ferry. The ferry company is run by Bintan Resorts. The ride is... more travel advice
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Pulau Bintan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monsoon Season in Pulau Bintan"
- "IMPREXXION: PULAU BINTAN"
- "Bintan Resorts - An easy getaway from Singapore."
- "A Birthday Getaway"
- "Bintan Island Resort-Indonesia"
- "Bintan - Island of Resorts and Rural Lifestyle"
- "Bintan Trip 2004: Fri 9th Apr - Sun 11th Apr"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Bintan
- Hotels in Pulau Bintan
- Transportation in Pulau Bintan
- Nightlife in Pulau Bintan
- Restaurants in Pulau Bintan
- Shopping in Pulau Bintan
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Bintan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Bintan
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Pulau Bintan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Bintan
Photos in Pulau BintanSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue