"Ahmadabad-Ashram & Architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Ahmadabad by lynnehamman

Ahmadabad Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 127 photos

Our 1st visit

Even after 2 visits to this city, I cannot make up my mind about it. Ir was so very different from any other place we had been to. The first visit: We stopped here on our way to Rajasthan, wanting to visit the Gandhi Ashram & Museum on the West bank of Sabarmarti River. Our arrival,by train from Mumbai, was uneventful, but once we hit the streets in the taxi.....well, I was terrified.The traffic is crazy....the noise, dust and huge crowds were overwhelming. We were not unused to this....but it was the worst we had yet seen. And the taxi driver would not slow down, even after my plea to "go slow, go slow please!" So, shaken, dirty & tired, we arrived at our accomodation, just opposite the Gandhi Ashram. It was 7am in the morning. We checked in,had breakfast and a much needed sleep.

The Ashram

Having had a lifelong interest in the great man, it was amazing to visit this Ashram & museum. It is set in a peaceful grove on the banks of the river, and has been so well preserved that if Gandhi himself had appeared, I would not have been surpised. We saw his room, with his spinning wheel, bed & sandals...where he ate & where he slept ( he stayed here mainly from 1939 onwards) And this is the place that he set out from on his famous Salt March. This place was not a dissappointment.It was awesome.
The next day we tried to do a walk around, but , and I may be wrong, I don't think that this city is a good place for walking. Somehow, the people seemed tense, and even slightly hostile. I know about the riots that they have had in Gujerat....there is much anger still around. Very few people could or would speak English. We saw maybe 1 handful of foreign tourists. There are many fine old buildings.....many are Muslim, and even some designed by Le Corbusier Museum is one)
Unfortunately, we were caught up in a fracas between two religious groups outside a mosque, and that was frightening. I had had enough.

We Revisit Ahmadabad

On our 2nd visit there, 18 months later, (we decided that we should try again to understand the city) it went a lot better. We took a trip out to see the Sun Temple at Modera, which also has a magnificent step-well (baori).and also visited the Law Garden Night Markets ,where beautiful mirror-worked clothing can be bought. Also bags, and appliqued cushion covers. That was a good evening. I had thought that maybe I had been mistaken about the atmosphere of the city on our first visit..........but it felt the same. Which is sad, because we love meeting people, talking to people, and finding out about their lives too.This had never been a problem for us before,in India. Again, there were VERY few tourists around. So, as I said, this city puzzles me..... it has so much potential, and certainly seems to have a good infastructure, for tourism. Maybe they just need to smile more?
We both have a keen interest in architecture,- there are a couple of famous buildings in Ahmedabad(Le Corbusier & Louis Kahn) and we went to find them They are beautifully designed and built, and the grounds were well tended , but heavily guarded.

• Pros:Mmmmmmmmmmm have to think about that one
  • Cons:Not so friendly populace
  • In a nutshell:I am so ambivalent about this place-maybe it needs another visit.
  • Last visit to Ahmadabad: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2009

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

nice tips on Ahmedabad, I lived in Gujarat State for 23 years but never got chance to visit sabarmati Asharm, you are really lucky, it seems you have not explored south india yet

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM

My husband was working for a year in this region.I never visited it though as I want to go there as a traveller and not as a visitor. For now the trip is cancelled but I am planning going to India for sure.

• Jan 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM

that hotel sure looks luxurious lynne! a fascinating page, and thanks for your refreshing and honest view on how you found the city to be. cheers.

• dhaval972's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Hi. G'day. Nice page. Still lot of things to see around Ahmedabad. The wonders are in the village life. Thanks. Regards.

• supune's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2009 at 4:28 AM

I was at the Gandhi Ashram too. I'll be there in a couple weeks.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Nice page. I have a friend at work who is from Ahmadabad -- so it is nice to learn more about it. The traffic certainly looks chaotic! Cheers, Bill

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Sunday Lynne- have an awesome day.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 4:43 AM

11th century temples and Le Corbusier - fascinating! Your comments about the town's atmosphere are very interesting, if unsettling. leyle

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I really want to vists India using the trains. Looks great.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I agree with Ingrid that it is fascinating to read your page on Ahmadabad and your feelings about the town and its citizens. Great architecture pictures!

lynnehamman Visits Here Frequently!

lynnehamman

“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.- Rudyard Kipling”

Badges & Stats in Ahmadabad

Have you been to Ahmadabad?

Latest Activity in Ahmadabad