"Aurangabad" Aurangabad by lynnehamman
Aurangabad Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 628 photos
Aurangabad was the city of the last great Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb ( (November 4, 1618 – March 3, 1707). Aurangzeb was the son of Shah Jehan(builder of Taj Mahal), whom he imprisoned until death.
Aurangabad is visited mainly by tourists who pass through, on their way to Ellora Caves. It is small , compact and easily discovered in one day.
There are some fine old buildings, but they are very dilapidated. Not much has been preserved here. It is industrial, and the motor cycle industry is centered here. All the Auto Rickshaws in India are manufactured here.
Textile shops are all around, and a speciality is a type of silk called "himroo". This is a mixture of cotton, silver thread & silk, similar to brocade. Himroo used to be hand-woven, a skill passed down in families, but today is produced mostly by machinery. There are still about 2 hand-weaving centres in Aurangabad.
- Pros:very few tourists
- Cons:not tourist-geared at all
- In a nutshell:I would not really visit here again
By Rail: - Tapovan Express (7617) Departure from Mumbai : 6.10 am, Arrival: 13.30 pm - Devgiri Express (1003) Departure... more travel advice
There are 10 caves (6th Century) carved out of a hillside , just outside of Aurangabad. Cave no7 contains some... more travel advice
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Aurangabad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fantastic Sights in Aurangabad"
- "Ajanta & Ellora caves"
- "Travel Hub to Amazing Cave Temples"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aurangabad
- Hotels in Aurangabad
- Transportation in Aurangabad
- Restaurants in Aurangabad
- Shopping in Aurangabad
- Warnings and Dangers in Aurangabad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aurangabad
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Aurangabad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aurangabad
- Posted in Travel Alice Springs Forum "Re: Alice Springs or Ayers Rock?"
- updated a Aurangabad Travel Page "Aurangabad"
- Commented on one of MM212's Aurangabad travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aurangabad Outskirts & Bougainvillas in India"
- Wrote a Review Ways to reach Aurangabad in Aurangabad Transportation
Photos in AurangabadSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue