Barmer Things to Do Tips by lynnehamman
Barmer Things to Do: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Example of Block-Print (Bed-cover)
Because cultivation of a crops is difficult, if not impossible, in most dry arid regions of Rajasthan, the desert dwellers have perfected the various forms of decoration- be it to cloth, wood or pottery. Block-printing is extremely popular in all its different forms, and is used extensivly in textiles and clothing. It is the main source of income for Barmer, along with wood-carving, carpet weaving and embroidery.
In the brown desert , bold colors are used, and designs range from simple geometric and floral to animal motifs. Red is the color of brides and is considered to be auspicious. Red is often combined with yellow which is the color of rebirth
Wood carvers create designs in the wooden blocks as they have done for centuries. During the block printing process,these carved wooden blocks are dipped into dye (usually vegetable) and pressed onto the cloth which has been stretched across a low table.
A waterproof resistant material (resin or wax) is applied, and isolates the pattern which is not needed to colour. The cloth is then dyed, and the pattern comes out in reverse.
Finally, the fabric is steamed, washed in water, dried in the sun and ironed.
Block-printing is especially attractive when used as Bed-covers, cushion covers, wall-hangings and lengths of cloth for sari.
Address: Barmer, Rajasthan
The Mallinath Fair (March-April) is one of the biggest cattle fairs in Rajasthan.
Held annually near Tilwara, a village in Barmer District (March-April). it lasts for a fortnight. Cows, camels, sheep, goats and Marwari horses are traded, displayed and attract huge crowds.
Villagers make offerings of sweets during the festival, and once their wishes are fulfilled, they offer miniature carved horses to the local shrine.
Races are organised of bullock, camel and horses and the prize winning animals, which then can command high prices, are awarded white badges.
Address: Tilwara, Barmer district
Directions: Tilwara is a rail-head on the Jodhpur-Barmer route. Buses travel between Jodhpur, Barmer and Tilwara
More Reviews (4)
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Barmer Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Baliuag Hotels
- Parc Régional Normandie-Maine Hotels
- Skull Hotels
- Cuba Hotels
Badges & Stats in Barmer
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (122)
Have you been to Barmer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barmer
Photos in BarmerSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue