"Remote Barmer- for perfect desert handicrafts" Barmer by lynnehamman
Barmer Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos
Barmer was founded in the 13th century, according to legend.It was once a stop on the ancient camel trade-route, and despite its harsh climate and remote location, it still holds a certain appeal - for me, lack of tourism.
We visited Barmer on a day-trip. Its an easy 3 hour drive from Jaisalmer, but the road is quite bearable.
This remote little desert town, does not attract tourists. This may change, with the wonderful craft work that is originating from here. It is bound to end up as a major centre for anyone who is looking for genuine for unusual and imaginative crafts in Rajasthan.
Situated about 160 km south-east from Jaisalmer, it is pretty raw, with dusty narrow streets, mud huts and populated by typical desert dwellers, who wear bright colours- giving a splash of colour to the otherwise dreary browns and beiges of their surroundings.
The Barmeri are particuarly proud of their skill at decorating their mud-huts. Geomatric or Floral - the patterns are innovative, and the huts are re-decorated as often as possible-' Keeping up with the Jones' syndrome, even here in the remote desert.
The crafts , especially Block-Printing are numerous. Wood Carving, embroidery and carpet weaving are also good here.
I have made a tip on the Block Printing Process
Just after our visit , the drought prone area was devasted by flash floods. 103 deaths were recorded in Barmer. It happened in August 2006.
- Pros:Traditional desert village life and crafts, friendly folk
- In a nutshell:I was glad to have a visit there.
There are many stalls,and there is the Sadar market. Tiny shops lining the narrow lanes of the colorful bazaar are a... more travel advice
The Mallinath Fair (March-April) is one of the biggest cattle fairs in Rajasthan. Held annually near Tilwara, a village... more travel advice
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Barmer Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Barmer
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Barmer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barmer
Photos in BarmerSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue