Kolkata (Calcutta) Transportation Tips by lynnehamman Top 5 Page for this destination
Kolkata (Calcutta) Transportation: 66 reviews and 97 photos
I may be old fashioned-I may be naive. But I find the sight of another human being-barefoot,undernourished and often elderly, dragging a rickshaw around with more fortunate and prosperous people aboard , quite repulsive and sad. There has been much controversy about this form of transport in India, and I believe that Kolkata is the one city wherin it still flourishes. There are thousands in Kolkata.
I realise that this is a much needed job for thousands of Rickshaw-wallahs, and they are certainly the only form of transport during the monsoon, when Kolkatas streets become rivers.
These men are however, often exploited by the conglomorates that own the rickshaws.They are paid a pittance for a ride, and then have to pay the owners of the rickshaws so much per day for the use of the rickshaw.
I therfeore implore you- if you feel the necessity to use one- give a good tip, and do not wrangle about the cost. Its only a few rupees anyway. It is very hard work to drag people around the streets of Kolkata.
Stuck in a Taxi in Traffic- a nightmare!
The Metro is a good way of getting around in Kolkata. It runs through most of the important areas- and is quick, clean and trains arrive every few minutes. Security is tight- so its really safe.
We used it on a daily basis. It costs only a few rupees per trip.
Taxis are good - but make sure that the meter is switched on. The fares are cheap.
The only problem that we encountered with taxis was that the drivers SAY that they know where you want to go, then end up taking you to some other place! Maybe its a language problem- maybe not.But its very frustrating, sitting in the noisy crazy traffic of Kolkata, not having any idea where you may end up. We eventually decided to find someone,anyone, who could speak some English, and they would then explain to the Taxi driver where to take us. It hel[ed a lot.
More Reviews (22)
- The Mysterious Sunderbans
- Excellent way of paying for food
- Hidden Treasure in Kolkata
- See All Weird, Eccentric & Wonderful Fairlawn
- See All BOTANICAL GARDENS-A PEACEFUL RETREAT
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KOLKATA- REVISITED."
- "Calcutta(Kolkata) - The Dream City"
- "Kolkata - Re-Visited"
- "The city that taught me to love"
- "Calcutta, city of contrasts"
- "Colonial Calcutta"
- "A City of Paradoxes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Transportation in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Nightlife in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Shopping in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Warnings and Dangers in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- 24 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 61 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Kolkata (Calcutta)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Photos in Kolkata (Calcutta)See All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue