"AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI" Top 5 Page for this destination Fatehpur Sikri by lynnehamman
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 743 photos
Fatehpur Sikri (City of Victory) is an abandoned city, built from red sandstone. A city of yesteryear, today lost in the mists of time. It was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar during the 16th century. Akbar had no heir. He visited holy men to enlist their prayers for a son. He visited Sheikh Salim Chishti, who was living at the village of Sikri, and the Sufi saint prophesied that he would be blessed with a son. When the son was born, Akbar named the boy Salim, after the Saint. This son later became the Emperor Jahangir.
The grateful Emperor constructed this as his capital city and named it Fatehpur Sikri. Later, due to lack of water and unrest in North-West, Akbar had to abandon his capital. The beautiful marble tomb of Sheikh Salim Chishti still attract thousands who seek blessings of the revered saint. Women wishing to have children tie small bits of string onto a screen inside the tomb, after they have asked for a blessing form the Saint . When their prayers are answered, they return and remove the string.
. It has been rumoured for centuries that underground tunnels led all the way to Delhi , and Agra.
Fatehpur Sikri is a world heritage UNESO site, and is situated 39km form Agra. There is a small village nearby.
The wide, open square on this site displays perfect examples of Mughal Architecture, and the various buildings around it are all very well preserved.
The most outstanding are the Mosque, and the marble tomb of the Sufi Saint Salim Chishti. Intricate sandstone lattice windows filter the sunlight.
One has to be aware that on arrival, many touts and guides are ready to pounce on unsuspecting tourists. Having a guide is somewhat useful, and some guides have extensive knowledge of the old city. Many of them, unfortunately, have a hidden agenda.
This is the screen that the cotton thread or ties are attached to by women praying for a child and/or good health. It is intricately carved from red sandstone.
Once the prayers are answered, or something good happens in their lives, they return and remove the cotton ties. We witnessed this being done, and the worshippers spend a fair amount of time praying at this screen. Their faith is so strong.
This is an example of the graceful Mughal arches, surrounded by stone lattice-work, that are found not only at Fatehpur Sikri, but at many Mughal monuments & Shrines in India.
- Pros:Finest example of Mughal Architecture -well preserved
- Cons:Persistant "guide"and touts who won't take no as an answer
- In a nutshell:This UNESCO site should be strictly regulated and managed.
Buses run from Agra’s Idgah bus station to Fatehpur Sikri, and take about an hour (every 30-min, from 6 am to 7 pm, Rs... more travel advice
Mughal architecture, to me personally, is the most pure and beautiful. The graceful curves of the arches, the domes, and... more travel advice
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri"
- "The GRAND center of Akbar's world...for 15 years."
- "Fatehpur Sikri - The Abandoned City"
- "AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI"
- "Fatehpur Sikri-Victory town!!"
- "Fatehpur Sikri"
- "Fathepur Sikri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fatehpur Sikri
- Hotels in Fatehpur Sikri
- Transportation in Fatehpur Sikri
- Restaurants in Fatehpur Sikri
- Shopping in Fatehpur Sikri
- Warnings and Dangers in Fatehpur Sikri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fatehpur Sikri
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (123)
Have you been to Fatehpur Sikri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fatehpur Sikri
- Posted in Travel Montagnana Forum "Re: Dolfi Ancestors"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bus from Agra to Fatehpur Sikri"
- Wrote a Review Bus from Agra to Fatehpur Sikri in Fatehpur Sikri Transportation
- updated a Fatehpur Sikri Travel Page "AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI"
- Commented on one of 850prc's Fatehpur Sikri travel pages
Photos in Fatehpur SikriSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue