"BLUE SKIES ABOVE BLUE CITY" Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur by lynnehamman
Jodhpur Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 1,269 photos
In Jodhpur, the houses are as blue as the sky above. As its grand centrepiece, the Meherangarh Fort towers over the city.
Streets and lanes are much like other cities in Rajasthan - dusty, narrow, with hundreds of motorcycles,auto-rickshaw dashing around,oblivious to the many people wandering around, and oblivious to any traffic rules. There is a clock-tower in the centre town square, which is useful as a landmark - its a very popular meeting place for locals and tourists. At night it is lit up, and the markets around it buzz with activity.
And yes, Jodhpur is the city that gave the horse-riding community the famous riding pants.
Jodphur is the second largest city in Rajasthan.It is situated near the edge of the Thar desert, an area known as Mewar. Land of Death.
The region had a former capitol called Mandore. The present day city of Jodhpur was founded in 1459 by Rao Jodha, the Rajput Chieftain of the Rathore Clan.,and replaced Mandore as capital. The ruins of Mandore can still be seen today at nearby Mandore Gardens.
The houses of the city are painted blue, which is a colour associated with the Brahmin Priestly caste.These blue houses are predominant in the north side and old city.
The Meherangarh Fort stands tall and proud above the city. At night it is floodlit, and is, of course, a must for every visitor to Jodhpur. Not only does it look spectacular from the outside- within lie some of the most exquisite antiques, weaponry, artworks and the famous moustachioed opium smoker.
We spent 3 days in Jodhpur, and found that it was a good city for walking-many little lanes, just inviting a curious visitor to enter. Chai shops in every street, which are a welcoming sight for a thirsty traveller.
- In a nutshell:May this beautiful city never change.
A fascinating day trip out of Jodhpur is a visit to the Bishnoi villages, in the countryside south of Jodhpur. The... more travel advice
Jaswant Thada, located half way up the long road that climbs onwards to the fort, is the traditional cremation ground of... more travel advice
lynnehamman's Related Pages
Jodhpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jodhpur"
- "The Blue City"
- "jodhpur :Glorious Marwar"
- "BLUE SKIES ABOVE BLUE CITY"
- "The Blue City of Jodhpur and Village of Rohet"
- "Jodhpur-the blue city"
- "A few hours in the Blue City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jodhpur
- Hotels in Jodhpur
- Transportation in Jodhpur
- Nightlife in Jodhpur
- Restaurants in Jodhpur
- Shopping in Jodhpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jodhpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jodhpur
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Jodhpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jodhpur
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 40 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur Intro, 28 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 27 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Varanasi Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khasab Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue