"Sawai Madhopur - on our way to Ranthambore" Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur by lynnehamman

Sawai Madhopur Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 445 photos

Just a Fleeting Glimpse

We were on our way to Ranthambore National Park, and this quiet, dusty little town is the nearest railhead. We spent just a few hours walking around, and because we were both tired, and anxious to get to Ranthambore, we did not really see much of Sawai. A few impressions that I have are : There seemed to many little shops, tucked away, and they ALL seemed to be selling those steel waterpots that Rajasthani women balance gracefully on there heads, while maintaining the perfect posture these women seem to have perfected.
The roads and paths were dusty, but well-swept and clean. We saw two banks, that had ATMs. Motorcycles everywhere.

The Railway Station was small, but clean, and had a decent waiting room. The taxi stand is right outside, and Autorickshaws wait for passengers as the train arrives.

The Famous Enfield Motorcycle

We saw our first Enfield here

• Last visit to Sawai Madhopur: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Great that you found such a fine hotel -- and had a deluxe evening meal at the Oberoi Hotel Restaurant. I think when I go to India I will also travel by train.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Love the sound of the hunting lodge, the chance -even if slim - of seeing a tiger, and of course - wonderful food - a perfect package!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2009 at 9:53 AM

What an amazing adventure for you two. Excellent restaurant tip. That Old Hunting Lodge Hotel was quite fascinating. Just beautiful photographs and your writing is alluring and endearing.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM

It is great that animals are now protected from hunting but of course it is harder for tigers with occasional poachers making a lot of money. I understand that you had great meals! Great page!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I fully share your thoughts about hunting and am happy that they provide living ground for tigers and other animals (fingers crossed that the bribing stops at a point in time). Ah, and yes, I would also sit on top of the roof in the evening :-)

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 5:21 AM

Another good page from you. Please add more tips on animals and on Ranmthambore. Shooting of tigers was one of the favourite past time those day macho sports, many participated. That's how we have dwindling wild animal population her besides corruption.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM

A grand night out Here! GoodTips all round.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Castle Jhoomer Baori looks fabulous and in such a beautiful location. What a wonderful place to stay and for less than $20.00 US - Wow!. Next time don't forget to bring your meds for Delhi-Belly! hehe!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM

Yet again, a wonderful trip with you.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Thanks for the virtual tour of some far away shores for me this morning

lynnehamman Visits Here Frequently!

lynnehamman

“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.- Rudyard Kipling”

Badges & Stats in Sawai Madhopur

Have you been to Sawai Madhopur?