"My Udaipur" Top 5 Page for this destination Udaipur by lynnehamman

Udaipur Travel Guide: 476 reviews and 1,536 photos

Why it is special

Have just been to India (Jan 2013) for my 7th visit

Reading about Udaipur in any travel guide cannot prepare anyone for what they will see upon first arriving there. This city is very different. Many places in Rajasthan are beautiful, with forts, palaces and lakes. But Udaipur seems to have the most perfect setting of all. It is surrounded by the Arravalli Hills, and has Lake Pichola as its focal point. The beauty is unsurpassed.
Udaipur was founded by Maharajah Udai Singh in 1559, after his former base at Chittor was captured by Akbar.The magnificent city palace is situated on the banks of Lake Pichola, and has views of the lake and the surrounding hills.At night the palace is lit up, and looks like a fairytale castle

Exploring Udaipur

The old city is situated on the eastern bank of Lake Pichola, and is the most scenic & interesting. Around Lal Ghat, there are tiny lanes, each having its own surpises, and all leading up to the Main Palace & Jagdish Temple. Along the way, you will have to dodge autorickshaws, goats, cows,motorcycles, and even maybe an elephant. Take the walk slowly........browse at the great little stalls,where colorful bargains can be bought. Tea shops are there, and sitting down having chai one can watch real life happening. Havelis line these lanes also.Lal Ghat is also where most of the reasonably prices hotels are situated, although there are some on the opposite side of the lake.
On the banks of the lake there are bathing ghats, and dhobi ghats,which are always in use. There are two islands in the lake. On Jagniwas Island stands the famous Lake Palace Hotel, and Jagmindar Island has a palace, built in 1620 by the ruling Maharajah of the time. They can both be visited,by boat.
A bridge runs across the lake, taking people to the opposite side, and this is a walk that can be done in 20 minutes. It affords a view of the City Palace from another perspective. Also some good restuarants & coffee shops on opposite bank.
Udiapur is a really good city to wander around in. Its winding, if chaotic little lanes offer the chance to see the beautiful, hidden havelis and craftsmen, who have little alcoves, where they make wonderful silver jewelery, amongst other things.
Rajput art is prevalent everywhere....the minature paintings are exquisite.

The People of Udaipur

Perhaps because Udaipur sees so many tourists every season, the local people all speak English to a degree, and are really warm & hospitable.They all seem relaxed, and are willing to give advice & directions...always with a smile. While wandering around, you will get an invitation to share a cup of chai every 10 minutes. This is common practice everywhere in India, but in Udaipur, the locals are genuinly interested in just talking, and we had many fascinating encounters on these stops.The tailor shop just outside where we stayed is owned by Aslam- a wonderful man,and we had a daily chai with him. He have us much insight into the everyday life of a working man in Udaipur.And he makes a neat set of clothing as well.
We have made so many good friends in Udaipur. We spend almost every Christmas here- and would not have it any other way. I love this city.

SUNSETS in Udaipur are pure magic. As the sun sets behind the Arravelli Hills, the light changes from a bright burning orange to a soft glow of pink.A truly perfect photo opportunity every evening.

Beware the Prowling Hungry Elephant- story in tip section

Fondest Memory
We were having lunch at the rooftop restuarant of our hotel,which overlooks Lake Pichola, and there were two young girls standing on the ghat, waist-deep in the water. They were washing their long hair, pouring water from a bucket, and it was so beautiful to watch. Every time I sit in a hair salon I think of how happy & contented they were.

• Pros:Natural beauty, scenery & wonderful old buildings
  • Cons:For me,not one
  • In a nutshell:One day I will live here.....
  • Last visit to Udaipur: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2013

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM

We are going to have a few days in Udaipur and no meals are included, so I am going to write down your restaurants and also the silver shop. I might get some souvenirs there. How hard is it to get from one side of the lake to the other? Our hotel is on the west side of the lake

• Florida999's Profile Photo
      Feb 26, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I looked at google earth, our hotel (Trident) is too far away from that brige to walk, but that's ok, we'll figure it out!
      Parts of one of my favorite James Bond movies was filmed there ( Octopussy)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
      Feb 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Take an Auto Rickshaw- cost will be about $2.00 only
      Octopussy was filmed at Lake Palace Hotel which is situated in the middle of Lake Pichola

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Such wonderful architecture, and the lake partners the buildings beautifully. High Tea at this location would be something special. We are partial to High Tea and one of the best we had was in Shanghai.

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM

So enjoying reading your pages on India and so well written.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Great pages,We are adding Udaipur to our Itinerary and maybe skipping Mumbai. What do you think??

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM

wonderful place

• Nov 29, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I can't wait to visit this hotel

• yamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM

Hello lynnehamman, thank you for your reply, I am imprest on your home page and will visit Udaipur, looks fantastic, cheers yamman.

• marvelous_girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM

WONDERFUL TIPS.i WOULD ALSO LOVE TO VISIT UDAIPUR:)

• doofus's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Lynne, Thanks so much for your info on Udaipur- it has definitely inspired my wife and I to visit Udaipur and we WILL do next winter 2010. UPDATE! Sadly due to serious illness did not make it BUT have flights arranged for this November!!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

The more I learn about India, the more fascinating it becomes, and your comments and pictures bring out the good and adventuresome aspects. Good work.

lynnehamman Visits Here Frequently!

lynnehamman

“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.- Rudyard Kipling”

Badges & Stats in Udaipur

Have you been to Udaipur?

Latest Activity in Udaipur